Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildbob

Holgate

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Wildbob, keep us posted on this! I heard the report was coming out sometime in July but haven't heard anything since then. I've sent my feelings about this subject to all government officials concerned. I've gotten positive responses from Gov. Whitman and Rep Rob Andrews and hopefully we won't see a complete closure. Sounds like they're really digging some sand to find a way to keep us off the beach.

Yes indeed, they are trying to close Holgate completely....i fish the south end of LBI an awful lot and every time i go down to the tip of the island there is at least one ranger there...the part that really pi$$e$ me off is the fact that they seem to roam wherever they want on the closed section with their quadrunners while a guy like me cant plug that stretch of beach...it was nice to be able to get away from the bulkheaded part of the end near the municipal parking lot because once 6am rolled around there were so many guys baitfishin there that you couldnt get a plug in between them..nothin against the bait guys, but ya gotta give the guy thats there first a lil courtesy..guess thats why i start at 4am wink.gif Chas

No doubt about it. They want buggies off the beach. "Federal land for federal employees". When I read the entire thing, I'll post a reply. Keep those ideas coming. They are serious. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but they must be stopped at all costs.

Why not try a buy back of the land from the fed Gov for the price they paid us (NJ). I have tried contacting Bob Andrews & Rob Smith on this to see if it is feasible.

I read the report & my blood pressure started to rise The comment section on p 51 is what really gets me. Boils down to "Sure there will be an economical hardship for the little guy (local businesses), but it will noteffect the rest of the island. Steve A. wants to start a ferry to run the fishermen to the southern end for a PRICE!!!!

It's time to fight back with everything we have.

Bob, Is there any way to get Steve's boss down for this meeting.

Are there any lawyers out there that sees an action that can be filed to hinder this part of the plan from being adopted? Fishtrek

Hi, Doug. It almost looks like he is trying to devalue the surounding property to make it easier to acquire for the ongoing federal land grab. It smacks of election year pork. I wonder which one of his relatives has the ferry business. Hire workers at $54 million instead of $15 million over 15 years. They expect to get defeated in November and want to solidify this before then. They deserve to get defeated in November. I have a lawyer, but I will first persue the avenue of the state Attorney General defending the people from this violation of State's Rights. It is not a violation of the Wilderness Act like Atzert claims. It is a violation of State's Rights. New Jersey owns the beach, not the federal government. Feds want to grab the beach because it presents "a negative experience" to people who want to enjoy the Wilderness. People aren't allowed to walk in the Wilderness, only on the State-owned beach and Atzert claims that the people can't enjoy it with vehicles there. I read the report and made notes. I'll put them into thoughts and get it down. Keep those good ideas coming.

Bob, The report that was sent to you, was this the exec summary or the full report? I just realized that I only received the exec summary & you must request the full report from the Refuge (P# 609.652-1665). I just orderd it Doug

Your comments on closing Holgate to vehicles can be sent to:

The New Jersey Coast Refuges Planning Team

US Fish and Wildlife Service

300 Westgate Center Drive

Hadley MA 01035-9589

By Aug. 4

Don't have to be a great letter writer. Just mention that you are opposed to this land grab by the present administrationand can't in the future vote for policy makers who violate the rights of the people of New Jesey. (The people of the State own the beach).

Only public hearing will be at 7PM on July 19 at Absegami High School, 201 South Wrangleboro Road, Galloway Township, Atlantic County NJ.

This is not an environmental issue. Department of the Interior,USFWS, will grab the beach because it is next to a designated Wilderness area and, according to the refuge manager,does not provide the Wilderness visitor a true Wilderness experience. This is New Jersey, not Alaska. Instead of being thankful for any Wilderness space they get, they want to violate our State's rights and grab the adjacent property. Public is not permitted on designated Wilderness. What would happen if Wilderness was next to the turnpike? Close it?

Two things that are present in the report.

1) Most important is that Holgate has been found as an ideal place to raise Tiger Beetles that have been absent for close to 20 years. Thay can not stand foot traffic.

2) the enterance to the state part of the property, High tide mark. Is this road from the parking lot Twp. property, state, or federal. This is one big key to keeping our access. Sort of like the access to the North beach in Brigantine.

Any help even a phone number for thbourgh hall to find out about this information is important.

Along another line write your protest letter to the Tde Water commision in Trenton about turning Our beach over to to the fed's. There are currently only six letters opposing this move in the file. The information for file number, address, FAX # & contact is at home . I will post these later. fishtrek

Tiger beetle has been absent from Holgate since the '60's. EBF was ceated in 1975. If they try to reintroduce it in Holgate, this makes it exotic instead of native by DOI Wilderness definitions. They can't have it both ways. Can't introduce exotics to the Wilderness. End of story.

Hi, Tim. You missed the point on Holgate in your opening page. This is not a plover closure. It is not even an environmental closure. Holgate is a federal wilderness. The beach at Holgate abuts the congressionaly designated federal wilderness and is state owned. The mismanager of the Holgate wilderness wants to take posession of the beach for himself because he claims that the visitors to the wilderness can't get a good wilderness experience with us on the beach. Public by law is not allowed in the wilderness. Only able to "observe" it from the state owned beach. If you fish there or not, this is a very serious threat that must be stopped. I don't fish there either, but I will be there and elsewhere to fight for that beach. In 1987 that beach was, and remains, closed to vehicles and pedestrians for piping plover nesting until September 1. This is not a bird issue. It is a violation of your State's Rights by the Federal government. They want to come in, kick everybody off, and grab the land. This must be stopped at all costs. If allowed to happen, it will set the tone for all beaches in the state. It will be a very, very serious precident.

I don't know if this is the correct place to list this, but I plan on attending the meeting in Absagammi tonight.

I was just telling my mother about what is going on and she replyed W/ "what the hell is wrong with these poeple" We also spoke breifly about the times we spent W/ my dad and grand pop down in Holgate.

I don't know if they will be allowing people in the crowd to speak, but if they do I plan on telling them "that my little girl is the fouth generation in my family to have the pleasue of DRIVING on the beaches of Holgate and it would be a real shame to take that away from her". I can remember fishing there W/ my dad and grand pop as far back as the early to mid 70's

I'll give a report on what I learn tonight or tommorow.

Ed J

[This message has been edited by Ed J (edited 07-19-2000).]

Wildbob, indeed I did miss the point, I thought I had heard it was another plover closure, somehow to be made permanent...but then I hear an aweful lot of stuff and sometimes they overlap in my skull!

I now understand better...it's once again about $$ instead of law, rights, or common sense. A ferry run to the end where you can currently get for free? I would immediately investigate the connection of the guy intending the ferry ride, he's likely putting all he can into closing it. The federal gov't wants to take NJ land for reasons so pathetic, and NJ gov't hasn't shown any opposition? That's odd, no? Bob, if you'd like, write up something explaining the situation and what you'd like people to do to help and I'll make a page out of it and put a link on the main page to it...that way it'll get noticed better than buried in a thread. If you are interested, email me what you've written up and I'll put it up ASAP with a very visible link. Include any information you would like the folks to know, addresses, dates, times, phone numbers, and the avenue of attack.

Thanks for the insight, I did miss the original point!

TimS