Basto

ABU look alike PENN 6000 in Australia

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

You good ol` boys in USA probably don`t get this reel over there.

It is not on the PENN website.

It is named after the Kimberley region in west australia, a very productive fishing location.

I think it is made in Taiwan, but has some interesting features.

As the list says, SS pinion gear, brass main gear, SSball bearings made in Japan, USA made carbontex drag, and the 7000 has brass side plates.

Unfortunately, can`t find a schematic for them, has IAR.

It is called the PENN KIMBERLEY CLASSIC

Basto

View PostYou good ol` boys in USA probably don`t get this reel over there.

It is not on the PENN website.

It is named after the Kimberley region in west australia, a very productive fishing location.

I think it is made in Taiwan, but has some interesting features.

As the list says, SS pinion gear, brass main gear, SSball bearings made in Japan, USA made carbontex drag, and the 7000 has brass side plates.

Unfortunately, can`t find a schematic for them, has IAR.

It is called the PENN KIMBERLEY CLASSIC

Basto

via contract w/ Abu/Maxximus/Fladen?

View Postvia contract w/ Abu/Maxximus/Fladen?

Close, but the actual contract maker being Omoto of Taiwan for all of these.

Omoto was the OEM for Taiwanese ABU 7000's, and at the same time they made a 7000 sized reel absolutely the same internally, but different on the outside. More about them here:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=365241

Omoto also made smaller baitcasters that used fixed axle spools, 7000 style spool buttons, modified 7000 reel foot, and IAR at the same time under many different names, Penn being one of them under the "Enforcer" label keeping the Omoto sizing designation (444,555, 666, 777):

Now it seems that Omoto no longer has ties with ABU, they are now making the reels round calling them their "Jungle" series, with the 7000 size the same (identical aside from graphics/handle) as the prior generation ABU 7000:

jungle-01.jpg

with this newest Penn version shown by Basto as nothing more than a relabeled Omoto reel just as before.

Had a play with a penn one in a shop in aussie while over there and imho is that they are a peice of **** .

Have seen them on sale back home here in NZ as well ok for once a mth light boat fishing I suppose but for surf/beach use forget it.

The 666a enforcer(oval sides) is a bit more $$ than the 6000,(round sides)

and yet, only has teflon drag and bronze bushings.headscratch.gif

The 6000 looks to me to be larger than a 6000 Abu.

Havn`t seen the 7000 yet.

Interesting.

Exactly what Surfslinger said. I met the owner / prez of Omoto a few years ago; he then showed me the prototype of the oval reel in the Penn brochure. (which was developed with creative input by an Australian friend of mine, who also helped source the CF drag material which I also got him going on for their offshore reels.)

Re: bronze bushings, yes-- he was very proud of this. I can see that-- jerkbait fishing was / is very popular in some areas, and apparently regular reels just don't hold up very well. People rode Abu so hard that they eventually presented the heavy-duty Ambassadeur JB Series.

View PostClose, but the actual contract maker being Omoto of Taiwan for all of these.

Omoto was the OEM for Taiwanese ABU 7000's, and at the same time they made a 7000 sized reel absolutely the same internally, but different on the outside. More about them here:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=365241

Omoto also made smaller baitcasters that used fixed axle spools, 7000 style spool buttons, modified 7000 reel foot, and IAR at the same time under many different names, Penn being one of them under the "Enforcer" label keeping the Omoto sizing designation (444,555, 666, 777):

Attachment 64258

Now it seems that Omoto no longer has ties with ABU, they are now making the reels round calling them their "Jungle" series, with the 7000 size the same (identical aside from graphics/handle) as the prior generation ABU 7000:

jungle-01.jpg

with this newest Penn version shown by Basto as nothing more than a relabeled Omoto reel just as before.

I was over on a site the other day (pretty sure it was Omoto) and saw Abu type round reels w/ a special adapter extended reel foot bracket which would alow the reel to be mounted UNDER the rod like a spinning reel. The extension of the bracket to the foot itself looked like it was long enough to put the line in the center of a large spinning rod collector guide. When I first saw it my reaction washeadscratch.gif . I guess they made it for an angler who wanted that underneath the rod reel position but wanted a conventional reel. Also: maybe it's for someone who can only have one spinning rod. It looked like that setup could not be held like a spinning setup, with the stem, at the junction of the foot, between index and middle finger, or middle finger and ring finger. Never saw anything like it........a novelty for me. Don't know if I should activate the clapping.gif or beatin.gif smilies on this one. I'll leave that decision to the experts.EDIT: THE REELS ARE OMOTO TR 50 AND TR 50 L