Picking the right spinning reel for a Loomis rod

Rate this topic

ACKer

I'll thinking about getting the 9' Loomis SUR1084S spinning rod to throw my plugs and jigs in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz range, but I can't figure out the best reel to match it with. I'd like to find something in the 17 oz range that will hold at least 200 yds of 15# test. Putting price aside, the 6000 Shimanos (Stella, Sustain, etc.) seem a bit small. The Daiwas seem a bit big. Neptune's definitely too big, but a baby brother would be great. I'm not a big VS fan. Any suggestions?

ACKer,

The Sustain is an excellent choice, assuming you're going to use braid. I can get 150 yards of 30 LB test Spiderwire plus 100 yards of Whiplash backing onto the Sustain 5000. I figure that if a fish can't be stopped with 250 yards of line, she ain't gonna be landed anyway. Haven't heard much about the Stella; looks awesome, but you can get two Sustains for the price of one Stella.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

I would be remiss to not put a plug in for the SUR1023s it will fit the lure weights oyu mention like a glove. But i suspect that you will be in or near rocks ACKer (as in nantucket?) IF thats the case the 1084 would be fine.

I would say the sustain should do you right, they handle braids well.......

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I have to agree with JohnM. I love my Loomis SUR1023/Sustain 4000 combo. Haven't had any problems with braids on the Sustain that weren't my fault. I've used both RipCord Si and Whiplash with success on that reel.

You should be able to get plenty of 30# or even 50# Rip Cord or Whiplash on the Sustain 6000.

------------------

jlaw58@prodigy.net

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 07-11-2000).]

ACKer, I added Loomis' SUR1084S to my arsenal this spring. I had a small dilemma in selecting a reel for the rod... I had done a lot of jetty fishing in fast moving inlet waters over the years and needed, as you stated, a minimum of 200 yards of line. I really would have preferred 250 yards... I was determined to get a quality reel and after searching high and low I initially found the reel that had every thing I wanted, feature-wise. The Van Staal line of reels had the mono line capacity that I needed in a small enough and light weight model that matched the SUR1084S perfectly IMO... Only hitch of course was the $$$...just too expensive!

I considered the Shimano Stella, but again the $$$ stopped me in my tracks. Actually, the Stella makes no sense to me...$500 for a reel that is not sealed (waterproof)??? If I spend $500 on a reel it better be sealed and then some!

I finally settled on the newer version of Shimano's Sustain...the newer (upgraded) models are designated with FB as I recall and sport several improved or new features. Of course there was still the problem of line capacity... The 6000FB reel was too large a reel physically speaking for the SUR1084S. The reel's lip or spool face diameter appears a bit large considering the placement and size of the rod's gathering guide... Also, w/ the 6000 the set-up in my hands seemed awkward and a little out of balance... But the 6000 had the mono line capacity.

The 4000FB reel was too small from a mono line capacity standpoint... If you used a very thin super line like Whiplash you may get by...but I have no experience w/ the real thin lines on this type reel.

I purchased the 5000FB, but had to go w/ a super line (Power Pro 30)... The rod and reel initially seemed well matched, but until I went to Cape Cod Canal and in particular Block Island last week the set-up was not really tested... That changed on the Block as the rod and reel were very much tested with some rather LARGE fish... I was pleased to say the least... The rod will throw a 5-oz jig although it's rated to 4 oz... At the low end it will handle a 1-oz Mega Bite OK, but anything lighter may be asking too much... If you are holding to the .75 oz to 1.5 oz lures, then this rod might indeed be a tad much. But for a rod that is really light in weight at 9 feet and sensitive enough to throw a 1 oz lure, it has plenty of backbone...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

I too am looking for a reel for my 9ft Lami I purchased at Dillons Corner in Hatteras. I am leaning towards the Daiwa 2600ss, but you all keep talking about the Sustain. What is the gear ratio on the Sustains? Do they cast a mile like the Daiwas? If so, I will definitly be taking your advice and checking into a Sustain.

AllenC

If you have the bread, go with the Sustain as it smokes the 2600 hands down. (No comments from you, JohnM tongue.gif ) The gear ratio is 5.3:1. It does cast a mile compared to my Stradic; the Sustain has a titanium spool lip, which is also shaped differently than the Stradic spool. The Daiwa 2600 is a graphite body, while the sustain is all-aluminum. I managed to snag a Sustain 5000 at 20% off, and can't say enough good things about it.

[This message has been edited by richg (edited 07-12-2000).]

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

Rich no problem. The 2600 is a fine reel. It costs 100$ the susatin 4000 is about 230$. Of course the sustain is better, but I challenge you to find a better reel for 100$ biggrin.gif As for the Graphite body, I beat the hell out of mine for 3+ years and never had a problem EVER smile.gif Only down side is a spare spool for the 2600 cost 35$ while the spare spool for the sustain is included........

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by John M (edited 07-12-2000).]

ACKer, I'm not trying to push the SUR1023 just singing it's praises. Love that rod. It handles 1 1/2 oz. well enough. I have thrown the 1 3/4 oz. stumpy needlefish pretty well but that's pushing it. It really performs best IMHO with stuff 1 1/4 oz. and lower. Great light plugging/light jig rod. The biggest fish I've caught on it was just shy of 15 lbs. but it handled her beautifully. I'd love to see how the rod handles a cow.

It balances great with the Sustain 4000 which as everyone's said handles braids well. That definitely helps with the capacity.

I'm not sure what you're looking to do with the rod. If you need more backbone and the ability to handle heavier weights, I'd go with the 1084 but the 1023 holds it's own in the range you mentioned and is 1/2 the weight of the 1084. You can throw plugs all night with the 1023 without tiring.

------------------

jlaw58@prodigy.net

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 07-12-2000).]

I went to my local tackle shop to look at the Loomis 1023, and I do think I'm going to go in that direction. The shop carries the full line of Shimanos (Sustains, Stellas, etc.) but recommended the Penn 5500 due to reliability and serviceability. Any thoughts?

Yup, the 5500 is easy to service and find parts for---but as far as reliability over the Sustain, nope. If you choose the 5500, keep the schematic handy and highlight the parts for the anti-reverse for easy reference. The 5500 is totally unsuitable for any braid other than Fireline, also.

However, on the flip side, if the Sustain does break down while you're out on Nantucket, you're screwed. One of the local shops would probably have the parts you'd need for a Penn.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

The one item being ignored here is the weight issue, I know the Sustain 5000 is over 20oz. I too am looking for a reel for a Loomis 1084 I had built and want at least 200 yds. of mono and light weight, the only reel I have found so far is the Van Stall, however MikeC had a post ststing that Abu was coming out with 5000&6000 CD reels as I already use a 4000Sauveran I might wait and look at these.