Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fig

wetsuit or rain coat and pants?

13 posts in this topic

I am trying to plan ahead for the fall run and some of the cooler weather. I'm still new to the kayak fishing thing (just got my depth finder in-really cool!), so I was just wondering what some of you guys use, where you buy them. pros and cons etc....One problem I have looking for stuff if I am 6'6 260 so nothing fits.

Depends on what you have to spend and how long you want to prolong your season.

The best thing you can have is a breathable dry suit. You can layer underneath accordingly, take a plunge and be no worse off than when you put it on. This can keep you in the water all year round. They can be expensive new but found on line for less than a good set of waders. If found online and mention replacing the neck, ankle or wrist gaskets, contact the manufacture for pricing.

Dry top/dry bottom combo signaler to above but have more to fit and fix.

Dry top/ waders widely used but tend to allow a small amount of water in. Many people like this combo because they already have waders and just need to find a dry top to complete the package.

Wetsuit-a wet suit is best when wet (submerged) and not so good when you are out of the water and loosing heat from convection.

Rain gear-you will be good when you are dry and if it is raining but if you get wet you will be miserable. The under layers will only stay wet but convection will pull heat form you body

With that said my first fall trip was in October. I layered in a wet suit and had a Gortex jacket and pant (rain Gear). In addition I had on neoprene socks and thin neoprene gloves. We did a surf launch and a full day our front. Later on in the day I straddled the kayak. When my legs were in the water I was not cold but on the paddle back I did notice a difference.

Wanting to continue into the colder months I found a dry suit on ebay and had the gaskets replaced. The dry suit is not breathable so hot days I need to take extra water. When time comes I will get another dry suit but breathable and with a relief zipper.

The fall and winter months you must pay more attention to safety. There are less eyes on the water and time becomes more of a factor as temperatures drop. I have a set of dry clothing in a dry bag that gets stored in my hatch in case of disaster. I will always keep my VHF on make a float plan to give someone on land.

In addition where your PFD at all times.

It is almost time to start looking for stripers to flag down for a ride.

I already have a set of neoprene waders...again not to start the kayak/wader thing...but someone recommended a splash top instead of a dry top over the waders. I'd use it in the surf, standin' in the sand ,too. How about on the Yak? So far it's only been shorts and a tee ( all warm weather ). So...splash top vs. dry top... any recommendations?

Thanks, forward.

I'd go the route of the dry top. If you can afford a good breathable one, like a Kokatat or Stolquist, you'll be comfortable in a wider range of temperatures, as well as , if you're layered properly, less sweaty. You have much better gaskets in the wrist and neck on a dry top and a better waist seal. It will keep more water out.

A splash top is not as water tite and even though it has gaskets on the wrist and sometimes the neck, depending on the brand, water will get in.

I have both and have worn both in both situations you mention. The dry top has been worn for wading out to the old south jetty in Barnegat Light, over waders, never a single leak. The splash top is more suited for battling the spray from the waves crashing the beach, I've tried it for the wade, and it was OK for short dunks, like a walk out to a sandbar, but long immersions usually ended up being very wet, with water seep in from the waist usually.

Dry top sounds right. The surf has a tendency to blast over my armpits and get in the waders. I suppose I get to anxious when I'm catching and go out too far. I'll have to get to a shop try on both of those tops, but that kokatat looked good online. Thanks for the opinion. Not much replaces experience.

nothing like a drag in tune.......sing, baby, sing

I've ordered the Kokatat boat pants, they have the neoprene cuff with velcro fastener rather than the latex cuffs of the Kokatat Swift pant. So combined with some Sealskinz fleece lined socks and the Bass Pro flats fishing shoes I should be just about waterproof from the waste down. I have some gore tex jackets but I may have to go to a paddling jacket just for the paddling freedom it would provide. Any thoughts.

View PostI've ordered the Kokatat boat pants, they have the neoprene cuff with velcro fastener rather than the latex cuffs of the Kokatat Swift pant. So combined with some Sealskinz fleece lined socks and the Bass Pro flats fishing shoes I should be just about waterproof from the waste down. I have some gore tex jackets but I may have to go to a paddling jacket just for the paddling freedom it would provide. Any thoughts.

Carefull with those Sealskinz socks...I had the gloves and they were JUNK. Hands were wet and cold all the time.

View PostCarefull with those Sealskinz socks...I had the gloves and they were JUNK. Hands were wet and cold all the time.

Yes I've read some stuff on them, I intend to use them strictly in the Yak, with a good Kokatat jacket with wrist gaskets. Next spring or Xmas get a drysuit Those that have had trubs with the socks and gloves in reviews used them hiking, climbing etc. really put them through their paces. Nothing lasts forever. Thanks, Pat

While a dry suit may be the best for fishing the fall run, I fouund they were very expensivem and came in limited sizes.

I find the dry top and dry pants permit me to mix and match for more fishing conditions. I already had a dry top and waders for the surf, so I had half the investment.

I can wear different undergarments to adjust for temperature, and opt for lighter tops for warmer days, when a it's just too warm to be paddling in a dry top and pfd.

I wear neoprene boots with the dry pants.

79495.jpg

I got these, so with the sealskinz and kokatat pants my lower unit should be nice and dry, well dry anyways. These were very comfortable launching from sandy bottom with no debris at all and no water getting in till much later when I had my legs over the side fishing, with no socks.

Please do not post links to commercial sites. If you want to show an item, try to copy the image location and attach it to the post as I did for you.

Thanks, MM