Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaw280

where can i clean fish at ibsp?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

if i catch a fish at ibsp, is there a place closeby where i can gut it? i've heard we're not allowed to clean fish within the park. i don't if that applies to all fish, or just stripers... can anyone clarify this?

the reason i ask is that a few weeks ago, i caught seven 12-14" bluefish and took them home for dinner. when i got home, i found that my fiance had spent the entire day cleaning--the apartment was cleaner than when we moved in--but she wasn't too pleased when i showed up with 7 fish to gut in our kitchen sink. i figure it'd be better for my health if i gut the fish before i get home for now on.

Have not heard that rule before but it does make sense. It probably applies to all fish. There are no designated cleaning stations that I know of. I've seen many a filleted rack in the wash so somebodies been cleaning their fish. Me, I take them home and clean in the driveway and finish in the house. Not doable in an apartment. I'd get the wedding over with soon or stop fishing/catching until you do. redface.gif

LOL....if ya time it right, I have a trunk of a gray Volvo you can borrow.....wink.gif

More seriously....I doubt very much anyone is gonna give you a hard time if you gut the bluefish on the beach in IBSP......just make sure you dispose of the remains either in the trash or the surf (and if in the surf, make SURE it washes out to sea), and don't leave the guts and such up on the beach to rot and become disgusting...........smile.gif

i gutted and cleaned a nice bass this spring in my apartment and it was a pain in the arse (too long a story)

as for ibsp, i'm not sure. my marina has a no cleaning fish policy and one time I took the fish to the park across the street to clean it, not that this helps you any, but i thought i'd share

hmmm, ibsp area, take it to the ortely fish market or bums (even closer) and ask them to clean it for a few bucks

I would just do it at the beach. Nothing goes to waste. The gulls usually pick that stuff clean as do the crabs and fish. I would rather see it back in the sea than rotting in a garbage pail

I don't think anyone would give you a hard time if you cleaned fish on the beach, and the remains won't go to waste with the gulls and crabs.

Keep in mind the rules in NJ in regards to cleaning some fish with size limits.

Fluke, weakfish and striped bass all have size limits and the CO would probably frown if you showed him a bag of fillets.smile.gif

I'm sure B&T's don't need to be cleaning peoples catches, thats above and beyond whats reasonable. Imagine everyone thats catches a 12" bluefish stopping by to have their fish gutted and cleaned, thats like stopping in to a car dealer and have them wash your car.

Maybe Dock Outfitters - the place on the water (bay) as you enter the island off the causeway.. They have a dock and fishing pier and I would imagine a cleaning station or two... Stop in sometime as ask....

I dont think u can clean fish on the beach. I believe u can only have whole fish in your posession. The law will not be able to know how many fish u kept. U could just catch a fish, chop it up, and throw away the body. Theres no proof of how many fish u have. U could have 6 schoolies or one 40"er. I would just clean it at home or take it to dock outfitters, they have a cleaning table u can use.

People do get citations for having "fish parts". When I catch a legal fishing and decide to keep it I just bleed and gut at at the waters edge and then fillet at home later. Just be sure the guts are not left on the beach. I cant imagine any ranger giving you a hard time as long as the fish is still whole.