exit14a

To Abu or not to Abu?????

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

So After reading many comments on the castability of the 6500 Abu C3 CT mag elite I broke down and got one of of ebay.

First thing I notioced is that the freespool although decent does not hold a candle to my Avet. So I am wondering if There is a bearing upgrade and if so does any one know what number ABEC bearings will fit and how many I wil need.

Since I bought the reel used I am going to send it to Foran Reel Service to have the drags replaced and cleaned and lubed.

I will see after the service if I want to Fish it or add it to the shelf full of other reels I'm not using.

I tried the search but there are like 12 pages for

Abu 6500 if someone has an online schematic for this reel I would appreciate it if you could post a link or IM it to me.

Also I would appreciate any input from you Die hard Abu lovers on any tips or tricks you could tell me about to help me enjoy this reel.

Thanks

If you Abu today, you'll Abu tomorrow.smile.gif

I had two 6500 c3cs Mag Elites, and one c3ct. I wasn't impressed with them.

A Blue Yonder is a better reel, ct, that is. I like the cs Rockets better as well.

But what do I know.smile.gif

Watch out these damn things are addicting. besides being functional tools that will outcast anything close to their price range, They are sturdy, Easy to service, and some are just down right pretty.

You develop crushes on them.

My girl friend has already noticed and there are some apparent jealousys between her and my Abu's.

I have seven in the stable now and I fish them all. Billy makes a good point about their servicing. I've upgraded/changed drags, bearings, level winds, level wind bearings, even had to replace a side plate with a bad A/R bearing, and have not had any "extra" parts left. Very simple reels, equally eye catching, and functional to boot.

I'd buy another one tomorrow, if I thought I could sneak it in the house cwm13.gif .

My next one will be a 4501.

I will not buy a Abu that is not made in Sweden, Therefore I do not have any 7000 series.

One day our swedish made abus will be appreciated more than some of the other reels out there.

Hatteras Outfitters.com & Hatteras Jacks.com are both good places to look for upgrades for abu's.I own several & love em , but you need to upgrade the drag washers first w/ the cabonmatrix or smoothies. Next replace the bearings w/ abecs or ceramics & use rocket fuel lube,red or yellow,or Quantum HOT SAUCE. Wheels Reels.com makes side plates w/ mag adjustments so you can realy tune them things in too.

exit,

Spool spin times are a very poor way to judge a reels distance casting potential. Your reel has a very light spool, that slows down fast unlike other reels who's spool acts like a flywheel. Also, who knows what oil is in the bearings, their condition, etc... The reel also has a bushing ("speed bushing") in the LH plate under the knob that rides right on the inner race of the spool bearing. This knob must not be even close to tight, and ideally, there should be a little "spool knock" or lateral play concerning the spool. Unlike many other ABU reels, this hi-performance machine does not use spool tension for control.

It is very good that you are sending it to Jerry, and I assure you when it returns it will be right, and a completely different animal. Maybe use it as ABU intended for now, and leave the exotic bearings for the day when you are holding the reel back, not the other way around, and I don't mean that as an insult, simply somthing to strive for.smile.gif

To start, I would go with a mono of around .38mm (15 lb Big Game) and buy in bulk for the mistakes that are sure to happen. Load the spool carefully, so that there is no vibration when spun, and don't' overfill it. Don't forget the shockleader which should be 10lbs per oz cast. Remember that the reel also has brake blocks, so if used in tandem with the mags, you can really set-up the reel they way you like. When you get really good, you will be backing off the mags in flight, and really putting the spurs to gaining max distance.

Although I prefer Classic fixed axle spool ABU reels, that little emerald CT gem is one hell of a caster, and you will learn to really love it. If you PM me your email address, I can send you schematic pronto.

Take care,

SS

First thing I notioced is that the freespool although decent does not hold a candle to my Avet.

Agree... The Avet has the longest free spool spin I have seen...actually incredible. Yet it's interesting, the Ambassadeur Mag Elite will cast better (no backlashes) and further than the Avet SX per my experience...I have a couple Avet's and a boatload of Ambassadeurs...the Avets' gather dust on the shelf...no real cast control!

Upgrades?

-Bearings, try SS ABEC 5 or 7...

-Carbontex drag washers w/ the flat metal washer kit from Smooothie Drag:

-Try yellow label Rocket Fuel bearing oil if you want to live on the edge...

-Ported handles are nice...

BTW...the 6500 CT Mag has the speed bushing (part no. 23500) which puts it in a class by itself as far as distance casting goes... The much-heralded Blue Yonder and the 6500 CT Big Game don't even have the speed bushing...

Poppy

exit

I have owned a 9000c, 7000, 6500c3, 5500, 4600uc and now own just a ctc3 mag elite and cs chrome rocket.

I also own 2 Avet jx reels.

The thing I like most about Avets and ABUs is that they are both simple,(low parts count compared to many competitors) and tough.

Regarding the spool spin time,I think to be fair to the Abu, you need to totally remove the brake blocks and the magnets.

I have a set of Carbontex drag washers and a Cal`s top plate and metal drag washers installed. The top plate is heavier than the standard top plate in your Abu and is ground perfectly flat for more complete contact with the non metal washer. The standard Abu top plate is ,I think, just a pressed part.All the other Cal`s metals are ground and lapped too.

The Carbontex give you a bit more drag weight too.

After you have lived with your mag elite for a while, you will grw very fond of it, especially if you like Avets.

View Post

Spool spin times are a very poor way to judge a reels distance casting potential.

EXACTLY. My longest casting reels are not the ones that freespool the longest.

abu 6500 c3 ct mag elite out of the box wil cast 200 yds (of course in the hands of a good caster!)

BTW : I dont like fishing with abu in saltwater very much. The abu's dont like the salt water and should be cleaned very very good when you are home after the fishing. And in my opinion the reel is too weak for heavy saltwater fishing. Look at the difference between a penn 525 mag! But I have never seen at a casting tournament one of the casters used the penn 525 mag. It is all abu and dont forget it the good old daiwa 7ht! Now there is the turbo from daiwa.

And the costs for fishing a abu: upgrading drag/bearings etc etc. Look at the avet: the guts of a tank. Not expensive for such a reel at us dollar 199.

I do not understand the fascination with abus.

I have a 7000c3 that I upgraded with better drag and better bearings as well as taking the brakes out. This reel has done everything I've asked it to do within reason.

Why all the love for special models?

View Postdaiwa FTW. . . i do not use abus.

Same here. Bought into the hype since many here use them but they don't compare to my Calcuttas or Millionaires/Lunas. I did just bought another Abu but this is the 6600 EXT which has Mags and a Clicker. Haven't tested that one yet but it looks much better built than the other Abus and it also have Carbon Composite drag washers. Only thing I need for it is possibly a power handle.