Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
samschreiber

can corn kill a fish

12 posts in this topic

View PostI have recently herd that corn can mess up a fishes digestive tract. i also found that they ban it in some states. is this true? smile.gif

isaac

Yes Issac,

Especially if you don`t husk it or use too large a treble on the whole ears. The dried Indian corn has long been known to be a killer as well. wink.gif

Seriously I`ve heard similar but a few kernels is probably ok.... if a trout was to fill up on many many kernels it is a negative.

Corn is one of my favorite baits for trout. I have had many people tell me through the years that I should not be using it since it will kill the fish. They say this is due to them not being able to digest it. I once had an old man ready to fist fight me because I was using corn. The PA Fish Commission did a study on this a few years back and found this to be false. More details can be found here. http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/p.../corn_chum.htm I sure would like to bump into him again with that article for him to read.

Corn does not kill trout. It has been proven that it does not kill them. Corn has no nutritional value for trout. If a trout was to eat corn and nothing else, it would die of malnutriton. Corn just passes through their digestive system. I have found many things in the guts of trout that would be much more life threatening than corn, if it were true that corn kills them. I have found cigarette butts, gravel and stones, crayfish, peices of soft plastic lures etc. Do not let anyone try and tell you that a trout can be killed by eating a corn kernel! smile.gif

Cornmeal is a good coating for frying them in olive oil!! I like corn as a veggie with fried trout. Creamed corn is also another nice choice. But if you want to eat Powerbait then go right ahead.

Really... how can PowerBait be anymore vital for trout? Besides, aren't you going to eat them? If it's a stocked stream they'll all die when the water warms and oxygen levels go down.