1st time ribs on the WSM Sunday

Rate this topic

Tomorrow is the day. The smoker was delivered Friday, assemble this morning and ready to go for it's inaugeral smoke. I have 4 slabs of baby back ribs ready and waiting. Does anyone have a few pointers for me that maybe I should know about? My research tells me between 220* and 250* for 4 to 5 hours with a turn and spritz after about 3 hours. My only concern is I have only hickory chunks at this time. They are about the size of baseballs. How much do you think I should use. I heard hickory could be a bit much smoke if to much is used.

TFP

That's a big chunk. I would use one myself. And to check for doneness, if you can stick a toothpick in between a couple of ribs and pull it out easily, and the meat has started to shink down off the bone...it's done.drool.gif The ribs should pull apart with a little bit of effort..."fall off the bone" tender is more for other methods of cooking, not smoking.

View PostTomorrow is the day. The smoker was delivered Friday, assemble this morning and ready to go for it's inaugeral smoke. I have 4 slabs of baby back ribs ready and waiting. Does anyone have a few pointers for me that maybe I should know about? My research tells me between 220* and 250* for 4 to 5 hours with a turn and spritz after about 3 hours. My only concern is I have only hickory chunks at this time. They are about the size of baseballs. How much do you think I should use. I heard hickory could be a bit much smoke if to much is used.

TFP

Yeah, that's big chunks. I use more like big woodchip size. i also soak them in water so they don't catch fire, and slow smoke the stuff.

I like to wait a half hour after lighting before putting any food on to completely get rid of the charcoal lighter fluid. also, don't use the match-light charcoal, especially if you plan to add more charcoal later.

Sometimes, with beef, like briskit especially, i'll add about a quarter bottle of port wine to the water.

When I cook bird meat i use mesquite. I do turkeys real low and slow, sometimes it takes about 10 hours. NOTHING beats that though..

happy smoking!

I would only use 1 of those wood chunks, maybe break it in half.

The first time you use the WSM, it may run a little hot. You have to "gunk" it up a little with use, closes those air spaces between the different sections.

How are you fitting 4 racks on. Do you have rib racks, or are you going to roll and skewer them ? (as I do)

Those temps will be fine, or you could go a little hotter. Don't be worried if you see 270*-290*, just close up the bottom vents a bit, and the temps will fall.

I suggest you take off the back membrane, though some don't.

Do you plan on foiling, ala the 3-2-1 method ? I suggest you do. Though ribs should not be mushy, or even "fall-off-the-bone", the foiling does make them so moist and tender, it's hard to resist.

If you haven't been there already, go to the WSM board, and check out all the articles, posts, and videos on making ribs.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

And please do not use lighter fluid, or an "easy-light" charcoal, hopefully you have a chimney starter (or other starting method) to use.

You put a pig on a spit, and you can guarantee my attendance.

It has been said already but it bears repeating....

remove the memberane from the back of the ribs.

if you are seasoning the ribs do it tonight to give it time to sink in.

I use a wet smoke the liquid along with keeping humidity up also helps control the temp of the smoker.

using 1 chunk should be good but I suggest beraking it in at least 2 pieces.

Get yourself a rib rack or roll it like previously suggested keep it loose though so the smoke get to all of the ribs.

4 to 5 hours is good and at that temp which is where I keep it they should come out perfect.

being this is the first time doing it stay close to the smoke check it every 30 min or so to make sure the temp doesn't spike.

Get a chimney to start your coals if you don't have one then you don't have to worry about the taste if lighter fluid.

learn all you can about smoking the smoke ring dot com is a good place to look.

Sean

If you're cooking minion method int he WSM, fourish baseball sized chucnks will do the job. Pour a half load of coal in the smoker ring, place wood around, cover with more coal, then add aobut 1/2 chimney of going coals. Right to the center. Add another chunk and leave all vents open, assemble unit, I use a cork in one of the dome holes with a turkey fryer (long) therm puxhed through the center. this gives me about graate temp for the top shelf. When 200, tap the bottom vents to about 1/3 open. Let settle around 235. add meats and watch temp to resettle in that range, then walk away...minion shoud give you 14-20 hours of cook time. Great prok butt cooker. For ribs, smaller amounts of the above and you'll do great. Scott

Remote thermo with alarms makes things a lot easier when you're doing a long cook.icon14.gif I use a Maverick and it alarms on hi-temp for meat, and lo- and hi-temp for the smoker. It lets me catch some zzz's during an overnite cook. It's really nice knowing I won't wake up to a cold smoker or a blazing inferno.

is a big honkin pork butt, and a brisket point. They just passed the ten hour mark and the vessel is starting to emit that "we're almost done" smell.

I am telling you guys, I have been smoking meat all my life, and I have been using the wrong gear! This thing's so damn good it took a break and went out and caught some fish last night!

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Sounds like you might have an air leak? Mine had a bad one around the door...I could see it best when I first put the meat on and covered it; you know, when the smoke first starts billowing out for five minutes or so? So I took the door off and bent and re-bent it a few times to ge a good fit. I also twist the barrel when I put it on the fire bowl until it "locks" in place; same with the cover. If I see smoke come out anywhere else, I temporarily stuff a small piece of foiln in place, like where the probe wire comes out. I can maintain 225* and it usually settles in at 232* with one vent slightly cracked.

e guys at BBQ brethren are big on the UDS. Also to help seal leaks on the WSM, rather than bending the door...get some rare earth magnets and place them on the door where it overlaps the steel body. Very strong and will seal it great. Scott