Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric B

PFD and Wetsuit???

45 posts in this topic

Those of you who wear wetsuits while kayaking, do you feel it's necessary to wear a PDF as well??? I have so far, but on second thought I may ditch it in the future, or at least stash it in the hull. A wetsuit keeps you afloat, and althouhg I haven't tested the theory, it should be easier to get back on the kayak without a pfd in the way.

Thoughts?

I don't yak fish and am bored just reading through the forums...but my assumption is your not wearing a wetsuit thick enough to really float you. If you get tossed you might want that extra floatation..

View PostIf for any reason you get thrown from the yak and wind up unconscious, how do plan on floating face up in just a wet suit? wink.gif

Unless he's in a type one PFD, it's all a crap shoot anyway. Not sure if the type one or orange type II's are even reasonable in a kayak. Scott

I am certified in water rescue in pennsylviana and I gotta tell you that if your not wearing a pfd while yaking or anything water relater your just plain stupid. A wetsuit will not keep your head afloat which is what the PFD is designed to do as its also designed to keep your upper body above water. Also depending on the water temp any extra work you have to do without extra floating ease is going to wear on you pretty quick. Also wearing a wetsuit or not your body with start going into hypothermia in 70 degree water in less then 30 minutes. Just my .02 but I think its stupid not to wear something thats designed to save your life.

View Post..., it should be easier to get back on the kayak without a pfd in the way.

Thoughts?

You'd be amazed at how fast a light breeze can send an empty kayak off into the distance and out of reach. Not surprisingly, many people will not give up the futile attempt to retrieve a drifting kayak when they end up in the drink.

They often end up 100yds further out than when they started, no closer to the boat than when they went over, physically exhausted...and with no pfd.

I don't take the chance, especially when the water temp is 25deg below my core body temp.

Good points, all. It's just that now I'm wearing a wetsuit, then bulky PFD, then rainjacket, then fishing vest over that, and as you can imagine it gets a little bulky and awkward kayaking where you need free movement of your arms. I guess it's time to invest in a more expensive PFD that's less bulky.

sounds like you have way too much on-why the rain jacket(you are already wet for the wet suit) and fishing vest?-keep your gear in the hatch or in a gear bucket or get a crate mate

u need a pfd if u are out in bay or ocean for sure

View PostGood points, all. It's just that now I'm wearing a wetsuit, then bulky PFD, then rainjacket, then fishing vest over that, and as you can imagine it gets a little bulky and awkward kayaking where you need free movement of your arms. I guess it's time to invest in a more expensive PFD that's less bulky.

I would suggest a self inflator or some of the new type III vest are very nice and comfortable. Rain jacket really isn't needed unless its raining bad, you have the wetsuit on and your probally aready wet from sweating so your head is really the only thing thats gonna get wet. I would also suggest having a knife, whistle, and some kind of marker light on the pfd so you have 2 ways of signaling and one way to protect yourself just incase or if you need to cut something.

Quote from Derrick:

Also wearing a wetsuit or not your body with start going into hypothermia in 70 degree water in less then 30 minutes.

I'm scratching my headheadscratch.gif

I dive a lot and I wear a wetsuit in water well below 70 deg. more like 50 below the thermocline. In a 6 mil farmer john, I can remain pretty toasty for well over a 1/2 hr and during my deco or safety stop @10', for a dive time around 45 minutes. The surface water might be 70 or so.

If my dive times are going to be a lot longer I go to a dry suit.

This said, if the water is cooler than your body's normal temp, you will become hypothermic in due time. I would wear a PFD regardlesswink.gif

Well I still think even a thin wetsuit keeps me plenty bouyant, but I did buy a new pdf today... mesh back for way more comfort than before, plus pockets and lanyard rings so I can retire the vest to land use.

Man, a lot of people have died yaking the delaware...a river that in most places is only 6 inches high...

A person died a week before I yaked it, and another person ( fisherman) died a week later.

What do you think of the PFD's that inflate upon hiting the water?

They are not bulky etc.....

View PostQuote from Derrick:

Also wearing a wetsuit or not your body with start going into hypothermia in 70 degree water in less then 30 minutes.

I'm scratching my headheadscratch.gif

I dive a lot and I wear a wetsuit in water well below 70 deg. more like 50 below the thermocline. In a 6 mil farmer john, I can remain pretty toasty for well over a 1/2 hr and during my deco or safety stop @10', for a dive time around 45 minutes. The surface water might be 70 or so.

If my dive times are going to be a lot longer I go to a dry suit.

This said, if the water is cooler than your body's normal temp, you will become hypothermic in due time. I would wear a PFD regardlesswink.gif

I picked this up in a class I just did. They recomend not to be in 70 degree water for longer then 20 minutes. The body loses heat 25% faster in water then in wind of the same temp. and 50% of that heat is lost though the head. Physical activity increases heat lose. If you think about it though your in water 28 degrees cooler then your body temp. Same reason your not suppose to be in a hot tub for longer then 20 minutes. As soon as you get in teh water your body starts cooling off, now even though you think your toasty in that wet suit your body is starting to cool off and is slowly going into hypothermia. Works faster if your in 50 degree or 40 degree water. I did a shallow water rescue back in march. The water temp was around 38 degrees, now i had shoes and socks on and I wasn't in the water more then 3 minutes and my feet were numb enough that i couldn't feel them. Our sog's require us to be in dry suits for anything less then 60 degree water including shallow water crossings. I jumped ship that day becasue the woman was 80 and stranded in her car in high water that day and panicing. Do you do just a drysuit or do you have a insulated liner. I just started playing with gumby suits, first time I sort of felt like the little kid from teh christmas story when he got all bundled up to go out. I am finding out though in my old age my body doesn't adapt to the cold water like it did 15 years ago. Try swimming 400 yards in full cloths then try it with a pfd and see how much easier it is.

Glad to see you did buy a lifejacket. A little expensive but they do make some just for fishing with lots of pockets. My experience is primarily white water so I have never thought for a second about not wearing one. The wet suit will give you added bouancy but they do not float you! Spend the money and get a nice adjustable/comfortable jacket and put it OVER that rain jacket. Water trapped between the jackets tends to compromise the PFD. Try it sometime. The PFD on top helps keep water out and you will float higher.