Weber Kettle or WSM?????

Rate this topic

How about a matched set? They go very well together. Not kidding.

You can do a lot with a Weber Kettle. Pile the coals to one side, learn to fiddle with the vents, cover the fire grate with foil etc etc, and get some darn fine stuff. Also, when it comes time to grill a steak or a piece of fish, well away you go.

The downside to smoking is you will be fiddling with it a good deal, add coals, check temps, etc. Also temps can get out of hand faster.

The WSM is a smoking machine. Fill up the charcoal, light, put the food in, watch it for a half hour and fiddle with the vent a bit-AND JUST WALK AWAY.

I've had one for two months now and it will burn for 11 hours no sweat!

Can you grill on it? Yeah but it looks like it would be a PIA.

If you really only can get one, get the Kettle, but hey its only money!

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

John nailed it. I've been doing some smoking on my kettle this year and it's a lot more work and a lot smaller cooking area than the WSM since you can only smoke on half the grill when you have your pans in there and indirect heat going. I'll be adding the WSM next spring. check out virtual weber bullet dot com.

Add it now!.

The final straw for me getting one this summer was when I saw a youtube video of some Canuck doing pork butt. He walks out in the night to start up the WSM and its snowing. He walked away till 10 am and never set foot outside. Bought it the next day.

My Hasty bake couldn't even come close.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

View PostAdd it now!.

The final straw for me getting one this summer was when I saw a youtube video of some Canuck doing pork butt. He walks out in the night to start up the WSM and its snowing. He walked away till 10 am and never set foot outside. Bought it the next day.

My Hasty bake couldn't even come close.

JW,

I watched the same clip, he does say that he added fuel. But I think he said it was a handfull. If soemone didnt give me a smoker for free, I would buy the WSM in a heart beat. I like that it's light and compact. The smoker I have now weighs over a 100lbs.

The best part of trashing plugs is making more.

I can live with the burn times I get with the kettle for the most part. I was considering a WSM just for the quantity as it looks like you can pile 4 times as much in there as a kettle (since you get to use about half the grill area).

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Do you have any other grills to "grill" on ?

If so, get the WSM.

If this purchase is for a "beginner to smoke on" as your post suggests, the answer is the WSM, as you can also smoke on the kettle, but it takes some experience/trial/error to get consistent with.

I have grilled on my WSM, it's not hard, but you will not get the super high temps, due to the distance between fire and grate. Though there are modification for this too.

I guess you need to get both....

You put a pig on a spit, and you can guarantee my attendance.

I think it depends on how much your going to use it to smoke and how much to grill. If your only gonna smoke a few times a year a kettle might be the way to go, especially if your gonna grill a few times a week. If your going to do a lot of smoking, the WSM is the way to go and find a kettle on craigslist to do your grilling. The A&P buy me is clearing out there summer stock of Weber one touch silvers for 45 buckssmile.gif , so you can find a kettle cheap.

Just competed in the Hudson Valley Ribfest with BBQ-Brethren. We took a fourth out of 60 in Pulled pork with a butt off the WSM. Minion method will work like a champ. I usually get solid 14 hour burns (225-250) from a full set and half chimney lit coals. Also out there now is the BBQpro frontier...looks very interesting.

If looking for a smoker, the WSM is definitely the way to go. Can be done with a kettle, not as idiot proof. 200 bucks with free shipping often on amazon. Scott

I am far from an expert on smoking. I only do it once or twice a year on some fish. With that said, I have gotten very good results with the "Little Chief" smoker. All you have to do is fill up the pan with the wood chips and plug it in.

"I just do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do."