Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hook

Shock Leader

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I happen to have a lot of 80# polypro, and found a use for it. It makes a good shock leader, and it forms a small knot with 30 or 20# test polypro. It doesn't have a memory,doesn't curl, and is very supple. It also is good for terminal tackle. e.g. making hi lo rigs

Just don't grab that line with a big fish on or you could lose some fingers! I would never use PP for leader / shock material. I already have numerous cuts in my fingers from PP. Bandages are now a must in the pocket when fishing.

D.J.

Although I fish mono on conventionals mostly with a mono shocker ,I know many who use heavy braid as a shocker especially on spinning reels where is does give a very small shocker knot .

Erm, isn't the point of using mono/fluro as a shock leader to STRETCH?

Using braid as a shock leader would defeat that purpose and just send the load up to the knot.

Regarding the non stretchability of power Pro, so what is the drag for? I normally set it to very loose after a cast, and when I feel a bite I gradually tighten the drag according to the situation,so there is no sudden overwhelming pull on the line.

But there will be a sudden overwhelming pull on the line, the knots and all of your terminal rigging when you cast, the more you load up, the more stress and strain on all of your equipment. If I'm going to cast out a lot of weight and bait, I'm gonna want mono all the way down to the spool, and around the spool a half dozen times before connecting to braid with an Alberto knot (or a similiar knot). At least that's the way I'm learning to do it here. I have some 50# PP, I'll have to tie up a rig or two and give that a try.

Regarding the non stretchability of power Pro, so what is the drag for?

Your drag dosen't give when you cast.

Also some fish hit with so much force that stuff like pp having 0 stretch would just rip the hook out the fish's mouth.

And as far as bass, they can see the PP, can't see fluro. biggrin.gif