Awesome John

What is your dream tackle that you would like to see the manufactures finally make!

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Fly rods don't receive the same amount of force during a cast compared to spin or conv. Not a great comparison. 

My experience differs, many nice rods I see not available in 1 pc over 7 of 8ft. 

Most airlines will not let you take a rod even checked that is over 7' as around 7' is the maximum.  Why I used fly rods is that if you look at the blanks that spinning is offered in multi-piece is is typically not the top of the line materials but fly rods get the best materials of most every brand blank and on spinning a same material blank in 4 piece vs 1 piece will feel the same.

20 mins ago, zudo said:

Most airlines will not let you take a rod even checked that is over 7' as around 7' is the maximum.  Why I used fly rods is that if you look at the blanks that spinning is offered in multi-piece is is typically not the top of the line materials but fly rods get the best materials of most every brand blank and on spinning a same material blank in 4 piece vs 1 piece will feel the same.

Good luck with your dream

20 hours ago, zudo said:

More companies providing rod blanks that are 2-4 piece that are made from their top of the line models,

It seems to be mainly in America that there is this attachment to long one-piece rods. Where I live, a long one-piece rod would be unusual and there'd be hardly any demand for one.

There are many high-end two piece Japanese rods, Zudo - could be worth investigating.

9 hours ago, Steg said:

It seems to be mainly in America that there is this attachment to long one-piece rods. Where I live, a long one-piece rod would be unusual and there'd be hardly any demand for one.

There are many high-end two piece Japanese rods, Zudo - could be worth investigating.

Cool!  Do you know of good blank companies in Japan, etc.?  

For all my fly rods I prefer 2pc rods, nothing over 10’. A few years we did a test with 3 rods 8-9’ in 2 pc , and 4 pc. With a boga grip and same reel. 1st was to see what the boga read , then me pulling in fighting angle to see drag, I found that with 8 lb tippett most rods were of equal arc for the pull, as the resistance increased the 2 pc arc seemed to have more backbone which related to less effort on drag, Got a few rods try it, in many cases the old I’m 8 maintained best arc for wt. I, m not talking about parabolic rods, blanks with backbone and a nice arc threw the top