Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

Where's The Worst Bait and Tackle Shop

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

I usually don't complain too much.....but here goes.

Been going down to LBI with the family for some +20 yrs......there is a bait and tackle down there " The Ancient Mariner" on Bay Ave. near Holgate, NJ with the most rude and arrogant Troll like little man who owns it.

He constantly complains about his clients when you talk to him and gives out bad information to them on purpose, then laughs about it. He tried that with me this last week and I'm done going in there...........he's a real sour puss complainer who obviously hates as he calls it, "the tourist trade". He talks down to everyone who comes through the door.......you almost have to go in just to hear this guy.

Rediculously high prices with a sign in the window.....CASH ONLY.

In my opinion, I suggest you steer clear of this place as you will leave wondering what the heck just happened..............and there are much better Bait and Tackle Shops on the LBI south end.......like Jingles and Ocean Side just to name a few.

I consider this a Public Service Announcement....

Sorry to hear that you received horrible customer service from that place. I know how you feel... I stopped going there 3yrs ago, mostly due to poor store hrs.

View Post

Rediculously high prices with a sign in the window.....CASH ONLY.

And usually no cars in the parking area except for his own pick up truck. wink.gif

In the spring and fall he also keeps some of the strangest hours I've ever seen a b & t keep ( never opens early or stays open late- I've seen his shop also closed for the entire day during those times cwm13.gif )

I have to to agree. The only reason that guy does any business is his location. Alot of people don't wanto to drive into BH or ship bottom. When I was there, I went to Jingle's in Beach Haven. They are much better to deal with and alot nicer.

This is a good topic.clapping.gif

There's a very large B&T near me that has a very good inventory, fair prices, the place is spotless and always has many customers. The problem I have doing business there is that the owner acts as if he is doing me a favor when I've shopped there. No smile, no thank you, no nothing.

And, one time I was there when he was reaming out one of his employees for something. I feel that should be done behind a closed door and not in front of customers.

I still buy live bait from him on occasion but most of my business goes elsewhere. I won't publish the name of his business here but I bet some of you have been there and maybe feel the same.

Wow........................

I'm surprised to see how many of our members have had dealings with this guy............as someone mentioned the business has been for sale.........but I guess with NO GOOD WILL.........who would want to buy it...........his reputation is notorious at best.......................what could be a worse shop than this one......?

I've never met him, only the wife (I'm assuming she's his wife)

She always friendly enough but never seems to have much of a clue about anything.

I scored some old plugs cheap there a bunch of years ago.

View PostI've never met him, only the wife (I'm assuming she's his wife)

She always friendly enough but never seems to have much of a clue about anything.

I scored some old plugs cheap there a bunch of years ago.

Maybe you're the reason he's rude cwm27.gif

Question for you guys...if you bring a reel (bigger reel like a TLD20) to a shop and tell them you want 200 yards of 80 pound braid and the rest 40 pound mono, do you think they should ask you, about 10 wraps into the mono, "is that enough?" cwm31.gif

I had one hell of a time the other night at a local shop....

View PostQuestion for you guys...if you bring a reel (bigger reel like a TLD20) to a shop and tell them you want 200 yards of 80 pound braid and the rest 40 pound mono, do you think they should ask you, about 10 wraps into the mono, "is that enough?" cwm31.gif

I had one hell of a time the other night at a local shop....

The shop should do what you ask them to do. You are paying for it. It's not like they are giving it to you for free.

View PostThis is a good topic.clapping.gif

There's a very large B&T near me that has a very good inventory, fair prices, the place is spotless and always has many customers. The problem I have doing business there is that the owner acts as if he is doing me a favor when I've shopped there. No smile, no thank you, no nothing.

The owner is a D-bag but all of the employees are nice and pretty helpful.

I'll usually try to stay away from the B&T shop at the Belmar Marina....especially if I need ice.

View PostThe shop should do what you ask them to do. You are paying for it. It's not like they are giving it to you for free.

i think what he meant is that there is no way 10 wraps of mono followed by 200 yds of braid is going to fill that reel, and anyone who works at a shop should know that. id be a little taken aback if i brought a reel in and was asked that question.

View Posti think what he meant is that there is no way 10 wraps of mono followed by 200 yds of braid is going to fill that reel, and anyone who works at a shop should know that. id be a little taken aback if i brought a reel in and was asked that question.

Yep..was a real old timer working behind the counter. I gave him the benefit of the doubt..my mistake.

I asked him if he would run the braid on another spool first, then the mono, to fill the spool, then run it onto my spool, so it would have exactly 200 yards of braid and the rest mono. He said "but then it will be on backwards?"....cwm13.gif Should have grabbed the reel off the spooler right there and ran...

End result was 200 yards of braid on waaay too little mono...line on completely crooked/lopsided, and about a half inch short of a full spool. Luckily another employee came into work as I was "discussing" the final product with the guy, took one look at what happened, and re-did the entire thing for me.

Classic bad tackle shop experience, at a usually good shop though...plus he tried to charge me $60 bucks.cwm27.gif