Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Law

Fishin' The Delaware

23 posts in this topic

I heard about great catfishing on the delaware and me and a friend figured on trying it out. we fished a couple areas near rte. 80 but didn't even get 1 hit all day till around 8:30. we used night crawlers and chicken livers and were stumped. we fished in the rain, I don't know if that had any poor effect. or the current,, I don't know, any advice or tips would help.

Try live minnows on a slip sinker rig in any deep cuts you can find. I know the area you're talking about and there are some decent fish in there. Low-light and night fishing is best.

PM me and Im sure I can put you on some good info and areas. I dont like to toot my horn but I would be very surprised if anyone else has caught more 10lb+ channels from the Big D than myself

View PostPM me and Im sure I can put you on some good info and areas. I dont like to toot my horn but I would be very surprised if anyone else has caught more 10lb+ channels from the Big D than myself

Start tootin, I am sure my dad has you beat, his parents lived on the Nashaminy creek at the boat yard they owned. He has caught alot of fish out of that river as well as sunk alot of boats. I seen some pictures from when he was a teenager with alot of cats that easliy push 20lbs.

Doubt it my PB is 26.8 lost two bigger that I got close enough to see I have caught 4 20+ pounders and so many I cant count that are over ten. I fished the lambertville and trenton area 200+ days a year for 10+ years almost exclusively for cats. The only reason I said what I said is by the shear number of days I spent on the river fishing for cats and catching stripers by accident LOL

I've caught several cats in the upper Delaware, but all small, none over 5#. I've caught them on flutter spoons and night crawlers. Head about 9 miles north of the Rt. 80 bridge to the Smithfield Beach "bay" and fish from there north to the "V" (about 3 miles north of the launch). Don't fish the fastest water but along side. Soon you will be catching eels if you cast anything live. I've seen shore guys hook them at night right off the swimming area about 35 yards out, but small ones. I wonder why the cats are small while the carps are monsters up there?

Mr. Wilson

Steaked eels will get you the biggest cats of all when the water is high and muddy. The bigger cats spend most of their time in the deeper holes of the river until a good heavy rain then they will set upright outside of creek mouths and gorge on the fresh feast of worms crayfish and anything else that washes down out of the creeks

View PostDoubt it my PB is 26.8 lost two bigger that I got close enough to see I have caught 4 20+ pounders and so many I cant count that are over ten. I fished the lambertville and trenton area 200+ days a year for 10+ years almost exclusively for cats. The only reason I said what I said is by the shear number of days I spent on the river fishing for cats and catching stripers by accident LOL

Dude I hate to tell you, but 26.8 maybe big for that area, but down towards philly they are twice that size. My dad has caught numerous cats over 30 lbs. I myself have caught a 33lber under the Burlinton/Bristol Bridge. I have had several breaksoffs of fish that i'm sure were much bigger then that. He has even caught stergin out of the river and several 40lb muskies. When I was 12 I hooked a 48lb carp right outside the Croydon marina off the jetty. Took me what seemed forever to get him in. I can some what remeber back when I was younger and fished from my uncle's boat on some nights we would have 20 to 25 catfish that would all be over 10lbs we never kept any becasue of the pollution thing, but they were big fish. Steaked eels and cut herring are good but 6 to 9 inch shiners are better.

View PostDude I hate to tell you, but 26.8 maybe big for that area, but down towards philly they are twice that size. My dad has caught numerous cats over 30 lbs. I myself have caught a 33lber under the Burlinton/Bristol Bridge. I have had several breaksoffs of fish that i'm sure were much bigger then that. He has even caught stergin out of the river and several 40lb muskies. When I was 12 I hooked a 48lb carp right outside the Croydon marina off the jetty. Took me what seemed forever to get him in. I can some what remeber back when I was younger and fished from my uncle's boat on some nights we would have 20 to 25 catfish that would all be over 10lbs we never kept any becasue of the pollution thing, but they were big fish. Steaked eels and cut herring are good but 6 to 9 inch shiners are better.

Im talking about channels not flats and I seriously doubt they hit twice that weight. Most folks that fish the delaware dont see many over 15lbs and I have seen many a folk catch a 12 pounder and swear they are 20. MY last post on this topic I didnt want to start a pissing match with you. In my OPINION! I think I have caught more. Youd be hard pressed to find someone who has caught more 10+ lb channels than me in the Big D the past ten years. And lets not forget philly is only a little ways down the river but they magically grow twice that size and surpass state records on a regular basiscwm13.gif

Dont know how many Ive caught but I can tell you a 10lb channel cat on live shiner with a 8lb class outfit is as much fun as a guy can have in the big D boys......I wade out and fish the holes just out of the channel and there are days where we have left them biting with some seriously sore arms!

Between myself, my uncle, and my cousin we released about 25 fish to 15 lbs in about 4 hrs. Ill take those numbers any day of the week.

View PostDont know how many Ive caught but I can tell you a 10lb channel cat on live shiner with a 8lb class outfit is as much fun as a guy can have in the big D boys......I wade out and fish the holes just out of the channel and there are days where we have left them biting with some seriously sore arms!

Between myself, my uncle, and my cousin we released about 25 fish to 15 lbs in about 4 hrs. Ill take those numbers any day of the week.

Ya damn right thats a good day. I usually fished the tidal sections unless it was flooded then I headed north to fish a few creek mouths that produced a lot of big cats. Only times I did much light tackle catting was on dip baits after the water went back down with the dinks up to 5lbs but there were good numbers so it was cool with me. Ive also landed a few really nice cats up to 14lbs in the lock on the D and R canal behind the waste plant in Lambertville.

Im in Easton, a little bit north of the free bridge to NJ the river floor is very shallow, but swift in spots. The channel flows along the jersey side and is deep and very very swift......we never thought the channel cats would stack up in there the way they were...we liveline the shiners in the eddys and rockpiles mainly for smallies.....but what a surprise! next day they were no where to be found....very spotty catches but when the bite is on its on! huge smallies hold also.

Ill fish the deeper holes south of easton w/ the eels for the big kittys....nice linesiders from time to time as well.