Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
first2wins

Grandfathers Gear

13 posts in this topic

I primarily fished with my grandfather, but between his passing in 2000 and school I have been out of the game for some time. Over the past year I have ventured back into fishing. In doing so I come across some of his fishing stuff from time to time. Most of the stuff has been long surf rods with older Penn conventional reels. I have been hanging them on the wall for keepsake. Most recently I have come across a spinning reel. A South Bend 730A.

I would like to find a rod to match with the reel and figured I would ask here.

All the reels have heavy ware and salt corrosion on them. I have been hanging them as I have found them, but would you clean them up first, and if so what would you use?

Get yourself some Simple Green and make a 30% solution of Simple Green and water. Scrub everything down with an old toothbrush and the solution. If you're willing to take the reels apart, soak all the metal parts overnight in the Simple Green solution. This will get the reels very clean and remove some or all of the corrosion, depending on how bad it is. If you have some Never-Dull wadding or a Miracle Cloth, go over the chromed metal parts with this after all the cleaning is done.

View PostGet yourself some Simple Green and make a 30% solution of Simple Green and water. Scrub everything down with an old toothbrush and the solution. If you're willing to take the reels apart, soak all the metal parts overnight in the Simple Green solution. This will get the reels very clean and remove some or all of the corrosion, depending on how bad it is. If you have some Never-Dull wadding or a Miracle Cloth, go over the chromed metal parts with this after all the cleaning is done.

can i asume this would work with my rust bucket penn 975?

Yes, the Simple Green part anyway. Don't soak any plastic parts in it though. A short time is ok but if you leave it in for awhile it may react with the plastic. If you want to soak a handle with a plastic knob, put a generous coat of Vaseline on the plastic and you will be OK.

It's hard to imagine a 975 being a rustbucket. A ounce of prevention .....

View PostYes, the Simple Green part anyway. Don't soak any plastic parts in it though. A short time is ok but if you leave it in for awhile it may react with the plastic. If you want to soak a handle with a plastic knob, put a generous coat of Vaseline on the plastic and you will be OK.

It's hard to imagine a 975 being a rustbucket. A ounce of prevention .....

thanks for the information and the concern for my reel.......

the reel is old....rust bucket was an exageration on my part....the spool has pitted and it has some internal pitting. but i have been fishing it hard, 75-100 trips a year for 7 seasons. this being the 8th.

That rod is a Montague boat/pier rod. Probably from around 1920's. The rod is indeed split bamboo, not hollow at all. Six strips of split bamboo glued together. It looks like a 2 piece rod with a wood turned handle.smile.gif

Those rods could be restored very nicely if you are willing to put in the effort. Get yourself a Miracle Cloth and go over the ferrules, reel seats, and guides. You will be surprised at the results.