Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

Cicada Killer Wasps

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

They had to move my daughters softball game the other day because these large wasps had taken over the infield with thier nests. Never seen them around my neck of the woods before. I guess they are pretty harmless but they are very large and do not move away from thier burrows. funny how they try to intimidate you.

cicada_killer_wasp.jpeg

Dont bet on them being harmless.I know a couple of people who have been stung by them and its pretty nasty.Any wasp that can kill a cicada and fly away with it is to be avoided.

When I was a kid, we had those in our Little League outfield. Messed up your concentration big time! Hard to keep your eye on the ball when sparrow sized bees are flying around you!

When I first saw them from the parking lot in left field I thought they were the usual garden variety dragonfly. When I checked them out closer they started to buzz bomb me. cwm31.gif They really don't bother you they just stand guard between you and the hole in the ground that they dug. The contracted city exterminator did them in the other day, kind of sad.

Had one in my pool skimmer on Saturday. Never have seen one before.

They are big and kinda scary looking. Hope they don't have a nest nearby, and I just caught a stray. Thanx for posting that, dave.

They are FAR from harmless, like Skip said! Their sting is incredibly painful, and they can be very aggressive if you get near them. My father-in-law is an exterminator and hates those things. He has been stung several times and says each time the pain gets worse. Watch out for them. cwm31.gif

I had one in the yard and thought he was amusing,

then he claimed ONE square of sidewalk on our front walk,

he was very determined to protect that square yard of turf,

he buzzed me a few times when I brought groceries in this weekend.....

a little ant and roach raid and he's among the missing.

funny, i just called the exterminator to deal with these little $hits.

i nuked one burrow in my lawn with some bug killer. that hole got quiet right quick.

a week later - they dug another burrow not too far from the original hole.

they are aggressive - but i haven't been stung yet.

last summer i killed a bunch by swatting a broom at them. they just keep coming back.

Years ago I saw one sting a cicada in mid flight and watched the two of them tumble to the ground. I walked over to have a closer look and the wasp turned the cicada on its back and I could hear the crunching as the wasp tore into the cicada ... icon25.gifupck.gif

I had carpenter bees in my arbor and they have a similar tendency to guard territory. They stay much more still almost like a hummingbird. I have found the best way to deal with them is with a tennis racket, they fly much farther than with the other mentioned methods. biggrin.gif

carpenter_bee_2664.jpg

Much better than whiffle ball bat or broom

Electric Fly Swatter

flyswatter_collage.jpg

Don't touch, you'll get zapped too!! We have one here at work. Pretty funny slapping the greenheads stupid with them. cwm12.gif