Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hopeicatchsomething

Ever catch someone elses fish?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

The other night my brother latched onto something nice in the surf, after a few minutes of the battle the fish won. His knot broke cwm13.gif .

This got me thinking to how many people catch fish with poppers in it's mouth or other fishing rigs.

For the record if someone catches a big bass with a neon green float with glued on wiggly eyes hooked to his mouth it's his wink.gif

View PostThe other night my brother latched onto something nice in the surf, after a few minutes of the battle the fish won. His knot broke cwm13.gif .

This got me thinking to how many people catch fish with poppers in it's mouth or other fishing rigs.

For the record if someone catches a big bass with a neon green float with glued on wiggly eyes hooked to his mouth it's his wink.gif

Not too long ago, caught a small bass (maybe 26-27") with three feet of 30 lb mono and a 2 oz pyramid sinker trailing the hook. Hook removed, fish released, new rig in the box.

I like those fish that come with their own rigs! wink.gif

View PostNot too long ago, caught a small bass (maybe 26-27") with three feet of 30 lb mono and a 2 oz pyramid sinker trailing the hook. Hook removed, fish released, new rig in the box.

I like those fish that come with their own rigs! wink.gif

cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif , never caught one with hooks on them, at least that i can remember, but i have caught a few that were tagged. that's pretty cool.

don't know, but i imagine quite a few

while we're on it, if anyone catches a bluefish in nomoco with a pink and white homemade pencil popper hanging off its lip, let me know, i miss that popper

drool.gif

Have caught fish that have been guthooked and the leader snipped off. One fluke I was unhooking had about 20" of mono sticking out of it's mouth. I trimmed it down more and sent it on it's way. Guess having a hook in ti's gullet didn't stop it from feeding some more.

Another time I'm reeling in what I thought was just some "dead line" which turned out to be a bass...a dead bass still hooked with the rod attached. Seems someone was deadsticking and the rod went over about a week before.

Caught some tog with hooks still in them from their last encounters with man as well.

I was fishing the sod banks in New Jersey one spring. The young man next to me had a hit on his clam, set up and dropped the fish. He tied on a new rig, cast out and got another hit which he set on and also dropped. He went back to the truck to get another rig. Meanwhile I cast out and got an immediate hit from a 33" bass which I beached. The bass had two 5/0 hooks in it's throat and a leader with a swivel hanging out of each side of his mouth. Just then, the guy returns from the truck. I looked at him and asked if he wanted his rigs back.

He told me to keep the rigs.

I asked him what kind of line he was using and what kind of knots he was tying. Turned out he was using a fish finder on Power Pro and tying the Power Pro to the swivel with a clinch knot.

I showed him how to tie a Palomar knot. He rerigged and hooked and beached a bass on his next cast.

I guess the moral is, you should read the little book of suggested knots that comes with the Power Pro and hungry bass do just fine with hooks in their throats.

I also once caught a 36" blue that should have been a lot fatter than it was. Turns out it had a diamond jig stuck in it's throat. Somehow, it was still feeding but I don't think it was doing much swallowing.

When I was a kid I caught a pickerel my buddy lost the week before in our neighborhood pond. He was using a pink mister twister and the pickerel broke him off. A few days before I caught it I saw a pink dot following my lure. When I finally caught her she had the pink twister in her cheek.

When my youngest was just a boy he loved to fish for catfish. One night we were fishing specifically for catfish and he lost his terminal tackle to a fish he was playing. Later, after what seemed like hours, and after I put my foot down to his "last" last cast, he hooked into another fighter. That fish, however, he managed to land. To my amazement, the fish still had the original lost tackle hooked into its jaw and it was the lost tackle that my son had sagged that enable him to land his catfish! Apparently, my son and that fish were just meant for one another. smile.gif

That reminds me, I once caught the same fish three times.

When I was young, I was using a brand new, just came out, $1.35 rapala. A lot of money when you could buy a Creek Chub for $.85. Anyway, I hooked a pickerel and when I lifted it out of the water, it fell off, bounced on the sand and went back into the water. I could see it finning a short distance from the bank so I cast to it again. It hit again and fell off again when I lifted it up except this time out of desperation, I stepped on it but it squirted out from under my foot and went back in the water. It went back to finning a short ways out. I cast for the third time and that dumb thing hit again. This time I got it way up on the bank, it stayed hooked, and ended up on my stringer. Back then, we didn't release fish, we ate them.

Years ago myself and two friends had a charter fishing off of MV. We were all drifting dead herring on the bottom, when my buddy to my left hooks up and starts fighting a bass. A few seconds later my buddy on my right hooks up and starts to do battle. Within a minute a 30lb bass came up with a hook in each corner of the its mouth. Greedy thing ate both guys' herring.headscratch.gif

Caught a fluke once by the eye of a three-way swivel from the rig of the last guy who broke it off. Must have been a bad know cause it was a 16-inch fluke.

I also had the dipleasure of catching the same blue shark three times in one day. It also had a longline hook and leader and a cable leader hanging out of it's mouth. We were using straight wire. The fish had 5 hooks in it and was still eating, not to mention 25 dollars in piercings.

Last year I was wading in from a sand bar and my ankles got fouled in someone's broken line. I was in water too deep to untangle and I slowly waded back to the beach. All the while wading, I kept on feeling tugs at my feet. When I got out of the water, I untangled the line and hand lined in a schoolie bass.

This year, I was fishing a bucktail and thought I nailed a fish. As I was reeling in, I saw my bucktail dangling up in the air with my rod tip up high and still had the fish on. I snagged someone's broken line and hand lined in a 13# bass!

true story here--i swear.

about three years ago i'm fishing wasque. we were there for about four hours at this point and into some good bass and an occasional bluefish here and there. well i hook into a real nice bluefish. so i do what i always do with these critters--i take out my trusty 30 lb boga grip to aid in the release of said critter. unhook him, check out the scale--registers about 17 pounds--give or take--not a real scientific examination of the scale (damn hard to read thing). i walk him back to the wash to release him and as i'm getting ready to grab the tail/body to allow me to unlip the grip, a wave crashes at my feet and the beast gets hit with the spray. well he went BALLISTIC cwm31.gifcwm31.gif. by now you see where this is going. of course my hands were wet and out slips the boga with it's prongs still locked into the bluefish's mouth. bluefish goes into the water and before i can even blink, he's gone. G-O-N-E gone. 30lb boga and all.

now, i'm pretty darn sure that thing isn't coming out, so if anyone hooks into a nice 17-20 lb bluefish with a boga hangin out it's lip, please PM me asap. reward offered.