Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firinne

reality time

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Had one of those frozen moments in time that are etched on our brains forever. My dad is sick, suffering from heart disease, blocked arteries and so forth. 62 years young, nices guy you would ever meet, 2 years retired, finally enjoying his live....or so it should be. As he just finished having the catherization test to see where the new damage may be the doctor had me my mom and sister gather around my dads bed to hear the news. Doctors have a way of being very blunt sometimes and actually I appreciate that. Don't sugarcoat the facts to me, tell me like it is. My dad is like that too, he needs to know and so ask for it straight...and straight he got! "You should live your life as though everyday is a gift" Man, that was a 2x4 shot right to the gut before I could brace myself! Mom lost it, sis lost it, and I could feel my knees buckle, the tears were chocked back and I stared willfully at dad and said he'll be okay! Dad had triple bypass 8 years ago at age 54 due to blockages. The disease has continued and the doctor said there is no reason to perform another as so many veins are corroded. Medicine will help stop that corrosion, and they may possibly stent one of the blockages. The young doctor ask if my dad was taking a cholestrol drug and he named a drug he was taking. The doc asked him why he wasn't taking "lipator" and dad said he was never offered it. The doctor responded it was a shame because if he had been taking it the past 4 years things may have been different. (Another moment etched on the brain) The doctor himself (in his 30's) takes lipator and swears by it. My own physician had subscribed it for me 4 months ago as my cholesteral was 270 at the time, I recently had it re-checked and it dropped to 177, thanks to lipator!! I am not writing this post seeking sympathy, as I feel my dad will overcome this latest obstacle and grab a few more years. Rather I hope to enlighten some people who may read this and convince them to make a great effort to take care of themselves. Most guys here are in and around my own age of 41. Its not too late to start making efforts NOW to change you diets, check your cholesteral and get it under control. We owe it to our families, if not ourselves! I don't work for "lipator", but I've seen its effects, it works! My dads cardiologist uses it. (He just switched to this young guy yesterday) I've always believed that you should try and pull a positive from a negative! If I can convince one guy here to get himself checked or start making an effort to watch his health than I've pulled a positive! Don't let me down guys, this is real, this is life, do it, and do it now! Take care, Bob e

Bob,

for what its worth, your family will be in my prayers. your post speaks of your strength even in the face of this difficult time and I thank you for the preventive advice, which will be rememberred. If your old man is anything like you, he's strong and he's not going anywhere wink.gif tell him we're pulling for him & will be in our prayers.

Luke

Bob, thanks for sharing the moment. The best of luck to your father and to your family.

It's incredible sometimes, what eminates from the mouths of health professionals. My own father was told in his early eighties that he was a time bomb. He had sufferered a small stroke and was somewhat debilitated from a serious auto accident. He really didn't need to hear the "truth" in such a blunt manner. Dad's 93 now and although confined to a wheel chair he's still with us.

None of us know the time, place or circumstance of our departure from this world. My prayer is that you and your family will have your Dad around for many more years.

Your advice as to taking care of ourselves is right on. I'm not too many years away from the big 60 and intend to make it a fight all the way.

Bob, That's a tough pill to swallow. God bless you and your family. Thanks for the heads up about Lipator, I will tell my dad about it today. My prayers are with your dad.

Thank you Bob, that was about the most thoughtful, caring, and thought provoking post I've seen in some time. I appeciate you sharing this with us and I join those above in wishing the best for your dad and all the family. If everyone else in your family has his head as squarely on his shoulders as you do, I know y'all will be ok.

As one who has a chronic cholestorol problem I am ever aware of the reality of this most critical issue. Mine will routinely run between 250 and 280. I have not yet resorted to any medication but I've been told about lipitor and I know that sooner or later I'll get on board with that.

Your post may just be the "shaking" I need to get off my lazy butt and see about it. I will never be accused of being a rocket scientist (rocket FEUL scientist, perhaps tongue.gifbiggrin.gif ) but I don't need to be hit over the head with a 2X4 neither. Big Wilbur's very close brush with death last year, and his eloquent and passionate report of the event, woke me up about using PFDs in the water and your post here, equally as passionate and eloquent, feels like, the more I think it over, it is gonna have the same effect. I am having a blast with my own kids, now that they are grown and solidly established and we can all be friends and a particular hoot with my 4 year old grandson. I am also standing right in front of my retirement and all the time I'll need to enjoy my family and fishing and all the good things in life that I have spent my life building. How stupid would I be to squander that future, now that we have the knowledge and means to prevent this problem. Dammit! I'm gonna do it!! I have my annual physical on 11/2, and if my cholestrol is over 230 (which it will be, I'm sure), I'm gonna do it, I ain't takin' no chances... I mean it!

I will pray for y'all and I hope you will keep us up-dated on how your dad's getting along.

Thanks again, Bob....W.J.

when i fish i rarely think of any thing else.

surf fishing is one of the few thing for me that is a total release.i relaxing affect is felt for days. remember to live for the moment but plan for the future.

god bless you and your family and may you will spend more days on the beach with your dad and family. tight lines jj

Bob

Those seniors seem to have a great will and endure ALOT more than us younger guys (53).

I got to give them credit. My pop is 79 and at times he scares me. Don't count them short.

I'll talk to the BIG GUY and see if he'll help out a little.

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Bob, your family is in our prayers. But you already knew that. smile.gif

Another medical heads up is something called Saw-palmetto. Its an over the counter drug for prostate health. Buddy of mine just finished radiation treatment. Its supposed to be "the" thing for follow up maintenance/health. Seems it can reverse enlargement and possibly stop bad things from happening. I only learned about this in the past few days but feel it is worth checking out.

Dr. squidlips wink.gif

Could you imagine telling your pharmacist that some guy named squidlips sent you? rolleyes.gif

Thanks all to the kind words and thoughts, glad we're able to pass on information to help each other out. Jack, you'll be amazed at what medications can do today to fight cholesterol. Squid, I will note that medication. Dad came home today and the whole family had lunch at his home. Attitudes are all positive, life goes on! Thanks again for all the kind thoughts.

Bob,

Thanks for your post it should enlighten a lot of guys. I too had a blockage in 1989 at age 52. Fortunately they were able to open the blockage with a balloon angioplasty and it has remained open. I am now 62 and retired, it is a constant job to keep colesterol in check. I was unable to control it by dieting and am on medication for the last 8 years. It works guys and like Bob said get yourself checked. It's a real threat without much of a warning at any age.

God be with you and your family Bob, hang in there.

Stripped gear

I have been living for 4 years wiyh colesteral problems was 326 now down to 114 I take Zocor and I also eat oatmeal every day I was told oatmeal will help lower your count and keep it down also have heart disease and diabetes. I work every day on the back of a trash truck and at age 51 I feel pretty good

my prayers are with your father and I hope the future will be full and happy

------------------

<*(((><

Stripped, glad to hear you caught the problem early, your story re-enforces the message here! Take care of yourself!

Junk, your medicine seems to be working extremely well, your doing exactly what should be done, increasing your odds! Great stories from the two of you! Exercise, no matter in what form also helps increase the good colesteral, the hdl, which is also vital to good health!

Bob, I'd like to reinforce your advice to us all that taking care, through diet and exercise is a wise approach. It may be a little to easy to pop a tablet and feel that it will do the job.

The "statins" are there, (Lipitor, Zocor, Mevacor and Pravacol) and they are effective for many people as long as your under the care of a competent doctor who monitors your liver function.

Can't beat the old huff and puff, and the right diet as your first line plan for stayin in the game. smile.gif

Best of luck and prayers to your family. I'm sure the loving care of your family will continue to strengthen your dad's health. Excellent advice and reminder to all to appreciate and protect what we care about. It's amazing what pride, hard headedness, or just procrastination can lead to. Regards, Mark

Hey Squidlips, I just got back from the store and getting my very first bottle of Saw Palmetto. I got a question for ya. did yours come with a stick? Well, mine didn't and I'm gonna need something to push those big horse pills down my throat with. eek.gif . Some of the biggest pills I've ever seen! I took one look and the SECOND thing I wondered was if there was any way to attach a couple of trebble hooks. Looks like they might make a fair topwater plug biggrin.gif .

Anyway I hope they work...I sure am looking forward to sleeping the whole night through without having to get up a couple of times to go to the bathroom, knowhatImean?!? wink.gifbiggrin.gif ...W.J.