Followers 0
HatterasJack

Taking Care of Cigars

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

we've touched on this in the past

BUT

not exactly this angle

when you buy a couple of cigars and they are either wrapped in a celephane sleeve or they are in a steel tube with screw top ...

if you don't smoke them in short order and put them in your box

do you take them out of the "container" and put them in the humidor without any cover

or do you open the cover with a slit in the sleeve of take the cap off the steel?

or simply throw away the sleeve/steel and just have the natural tobacco sitting in the humidor?

inquiring minds need to know!

thanks

That reminds me, I have a fake Cuban Romeo e Julieta with the cedar lined tube in my Jeep console. A guy gave it to me, says, "here! heres a Cuban for you!" I said, "hey! Thanks a lot!" didn't have the heart to tell him it was a fake. I just hope he does not spend a lot of money on them.

I just leave the cigars in the wrappers or tubes. That's how they keep them in the shops. You don't want the different features of the individual cigars blending with each other. I try and separate the different cigars in my humidor with cedar sheets that come in the boxes. You can usually get them for free in the shops.

View PostThat reminds me, I have a fake Cuban Romeo e Julieta with the cedar lined tube in my Jeep console. A guy gave it to me, says, "here! heres a Cuban for you!" I said, "hey! Thanks a lot!" didn't have the heart to tell him it was a fake. I just hope he does not spend a lot of money on them.

I just leave the cigars in the wrappers or tubes. That's how they keep them in the shops. You don't want the different features of the individual cigars blending with each other. I try and separate the different cigars in my humidor with cedar sheets that come in the boxes. You can usually get them for free in the shops.

How do you know it's a fake? I was smoking them last week in Canada.

View PostI just leave the cigars in the wrappers or tubes. That's how they keep them in the shops. You don't want the different features of the individual cigars blending with each other. I try and separate the different cigars in my humidor with cedar sheets that come in the boxes. You can usually get them for free in the shops.

that's fine, except that the humidor's job is to keep the bacco moist and if you keep em in the celephane or the steel sleeves, they do not get any moisture and dry out ........ right?

defeats the purpose of the humifor - right?

take a pic of your humidor is it ain't too much trouble and show us these cedar sheets your using from the tobacco shop please

thanks

View PostHow do you know it's a fake? I was smoking them last week in Canada.

Counterfeit Cuban Cigars are a multi billion dollar a year business. It has been estimated that as many as 85% of all the "Cuban" cigars sold are fake.

First off I am always wary of English writing on the packaging. The tube I have is all in Engish. That may or may not be a big deal. The band is a forgery, you can easily see the difference when matching them up to the real thing. Then there is the most obvious sign, veins in the wrapper leaf. A real Cuban cigar will NEVER have big bumpy veins in the wrapper. They would never pass Habanos quality control.

View PostCounterfeit Cuban Cigars are a multi billion dollar a year business. It has been estimated that as many as 85% of all the "Cuban" cigars sold are fake.

First off I am always wary of English writing on the packaging. The tube I have is all in Engish. That may or may not be a big deal. The band is a forgery, you can easily see the difference when matching them up to the real thing. Then there is the most obvious sign, veins in the wrapper leaf. A real Cuban cigar will NEVER have big bumpy veins in the wrapper. They would never pass Habanos quality control.

agreed ... you are far better off ASSUMING that you are getting a counterfeit before you can assume you're getting the real thing

the demand in this country leads to bogus suppliers by the thousands cause its all about making a quick buck ... no different than much else

View Postthat's fine, except that the humidor's job is to keep the bacco moist and if you keep em in the celephane or the steel sleeves, they do not get any moisture and dry out ........ right?

defeats the purpose of the humifor - right?

take a pic of your humidor is it ain't too much trouble and show us these cedar sheets your using from the tobacco shop please

thanks

I may crack the caps on the tubes or open the end of the celophane if the cigars will be in there for a long time. I really don't keep a lot of tubed cigars people usually give them to me every now and then.

As for the cedar sheets, some cigars are separated in the box by a cedar sheet in between the layers of cigars. If your humidor does not have separators or separate compartments you can cut these sheets to fit into the humidor creating walls to separate cigars. That is what I do as I have a small humidor and I want to keep different types of cigars separate.

I leave them in the cello and in the tubes while in the humidor. the tubes will take longer to age but are not hermetically sealed so the cigar will still get some moisture. some people take them out of the tubes to facilitate aging. I'll occasionally take the caps off for a few days.

I leave the cello on to protect the wrappers, especially with fragile wrappers like on don carlos and cameroons. cello is far from air tight and the cigars will get plenty of humidity.

cigars flavors will not marry in your humifor, unless you have flavored cigars or those good awful acids or lars crap. those will ruin your cigars.

tubes do not rust in the humidor. they are aluminum. never heard of iron or steel tubes. I have some 1986 punch churchills in tubes with no rust.

Don't be wary of english writing on your cuban tubes, boxes or bands. this is quite normal.

99% of the cubans in this country are fake. miami is the capital of fake cuban cigars, as well as some great domestics. I've seen some so good you couldn't tell till you smoked them an inch.

hope this helps smile.gif

i take everything out of the tube / cellophane except the occasional Acid Cigars or any flavored cigars like Kahlua or Java i might have on hand. These types of artifical flavorings tend to spread alot faster than the wrapper and leaf's natural flavor.

Most collectors that buy boxes and age them leave them in a humidor closet sealed in the original box unopened - so dont worry about them not aging in the cellophane.

I've had about 5 different humidors from the cheap to high end I still say the old ammo box lined in cedar is best and then the old Playmate cooler perfect for storing the boxed variety with some juice. The less you open to check on condition the better, and the basement or crawl space makes a good hiding spot. U nfortunately I can't smoke em anymore.

Dave Sr.

- According to my view if you have newly found your interest in cigar then getting right taste may be bit tougher task for you. When new cigars arrive, take a good look at them. Two things to look out for at this point: excessive dryness; excessive moistness. Another thing to keep in mind: if you're keeping your cigars in the humidor over a long period, it makes a lot of sense to rotate them every few months. There is a myth about flavor amongst layman that every Cuban Cigars uses same tobacco and hence has same flavor. However, the reality is perfectly different. There is a broad variety of tobacco and its flavor as well you can gain adequate information about connoisseur of fine cigar from your nearest cigar shop. It does not matter whether the shopkeeper smokes or not.