Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulbo

Crack 300

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I remember the big Alcedos, Bob, but they were way out of my limited price range back then. Gorgeous reels, I do believe they were made in Italy.

DJ, I've got a 498 which years ago I had a friend who owns a DE shore shop bring in for me while his distributor still had a few. Price is still jotted on the slip cover... $69.99 biggrin.gif Far as I know, other than a rarely seen variant - the slightly smaller 496PUM, also by Mitchell - that was the only skirted spool, pure manual pickup, reel ever made.

CMSTRIPER and I were recently kicking around an idea for a fling (or a division of one) in which all tackle had to be certifiably 20 years old.

Neat idea. A few years back I fished an entire fall run with one of those large 2 tone green Cardinal rear drag jobs mounted on an old Conolon custom rod from the 60's. What a great conversation starter. Caught tons of fish up to around 20lbs with no problems other than having to clean the drag once.

My father in law gave me a 300 Crack, he doesnt fish and didnt even know where the reel came from. It doesnt look like it was ever even fished. NICE!!

I've got 2 Cracks, one is for parts. I drilled the cup out on the botton and the sides so it takes the surf well. I actually fished mine this past fall on a Lami GSB1321L built with a 40HH stripper and it casts great. The soft screws are a problem when you only snug them down because half way into a fishing session the side plates loosens and you need a screw driver to get back into business. As most of you know Penn 704 drag washers fit the spool. What a coffee grinder.

Did I hear someone say, add a sort of senior tackle division(20+ years old)...to a Fling:Retro Rods, Reels & Regalia

Fiberglass rods, Wood/plastic plugs/metals and reels of the period only!!!

I think that would be a fun and nostalgic; if not painful, learning experience!!

I'm certifiable, but is my #140 Squidder?...must build rod 10 foot honeyglass no white wire guides no agate wood grips Dacron terrible tangles no maybe find a 302 no a green 704 them i know i can cast yeah thats the ticket hmmm...somebody stop me help.....

Seriously, anyone interested!?

BobNoFish

BobNoFish - This may sound funny but in the spring I use a 10' honey lami 3M rod with a squidder while jetty fishing bellies. I have seen and heard of too many expensive graphite rods breaking from getting beat up on the rocks while bait fishing. Glass has a place as a durable stick and graphite certainly has a weakness.

If you want to go "senior tackle" I still have my dad's 9' "club" with 2 guides and a top, a heavy metal ferrule and mahogany butt. I did loose the mahogany foregrip (dried and split) so it sports a cork tape foregrip. He used to use a Penn beachmaster I believe (same as squidder but with bushings) which I still have but is worn. The rod must have 40 coats or varnish on it (his yearly ritual). I don't know the manufacturer of the rod but it weighs a ton. In his prime he could cast that thing what seemed like a country mile.

Boy... does this bring back memories and is a real coincidence......

I was cleaning my Crack 300 this weekend, fly reels were done first.....

My father and I bought two of these reels and custom rods 1 piece from Johnny's Bait & Tackle in Montauk back in the early 70's, when it was owned by old man Johnny not his son who runs it today.....

I caught my first striper/keeper just east of Ditch Plains ( East Deck ), thats why I never got rid of it... besides it in great shape and I still use it sometimes... I'm really keeping it for my kids..... although I need to refinish the rod ( a one piece fiberglass but still with a nice action )....

Anyway, I had the reel open this weekend and I believe I can confirm that the gears are bronze... they don't make them like this anymore...not even the Van Stals.... heavy and simple...

The story on the bail is simple... when I bought the reel, old man Johnny told me he's taking the bail off because of its tendency for problems and that I would have to learn to use it in a manual mode ( I didn't have a choice, if I was to buy the reel). He then plugged the hole opposite the roller with one of those old fashion plugs for tires....

He then just taped up the reel onto the cork grip on the rod.... yep I had to cut the tape off the rod for another season... really need to replace the cork tape when I refinish the rod this season.... By the way I still have 2 spare spools.....

Anyway... nice memories

I have an old Crack 300 and would like to put it to work again. Just wondering if the metal on the roller can take braid or do I have to use mono....???  This reel has no bail and it will stay that way. Thanks

@chrisbarclay try Berkeley Fireline, it works well on my Penn Grennies. The old reels have narrow spools. I still have a couple Crack 300s. Yes they are heavy, separates us men from the boys. I also have a Crack trade reel, I forget who it was made for. Old NY store. 

i picked up a Luxor Reel off Ebay last year, modded 300 size reel, its way heavier that i was expecting even on an stiff 10ft rod.

Yeah, I am still kicking myself because I can't find my grandfather's rods and reels. I mean, I "know" where they are, they are just in with several hundred other rods and reels at his (and now my) fishing club. Had luxors on both of the rods he kept there. Unfortunately he had both rods taken in and completely redone at a custom shop, new guides, custom wraps, custom paint/varnish so they don't look like any pictures we have of them. He picked them up and showed me where he placed them in the club a few months before he passed, but unfortunately the club had to move all the rods/reels due to a leak from storm damage that hit just a week or so after he passed and they are somewhere in the clubhouse and no one really knows which ones.

In one sense I miss not having them, but I love the fact that I know they are there somewhere at the clubhouse where he spent so much of his life loving.

12 hours ago, FallenKell said:

my grandfather's rods and reels.

same, im using 60 year old harnell rods with vs150s on them for early spring bass.

heck even the greenies get broken out during snapper season.

luxor 300 with a new meatstick is my montauk backup in case water gets too rough and i dont want to bang anything up.

Try a manual pick up kit for a Penn 704-makes a good fit-I put a Penn 706 pick up on a couple of mine-takes a little more work-then you have a roller-that reel was why Van Staal copied them-when you Van Staal them they lighten up-if you can find a RuMer  handle makes it lighter-that reel belongs in the SURF REEL HALL OF FAME----rreelman