Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulbo

Crack 300

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Here is a picture of a Crack 300 - auctually a Luxor. It is my second favorite reel to the Penn 704. I only wish it was a little lighter. Then again it was made well and has standed to test of time.

crack300.jpg

How many people out there still use this reel. Any other opinions. I know the drag is loud, etc.

BTW if you have one and or parts and it is collecting dust shoot me an email.

Fish my Luxor a lot and it is 65 years old!

Interesting thought Billy the reeldude at Rocky Point Tackle once passed on to me: All

that ticking and noises the simpler Penns, Cracks, etc... make. Could the sound, vibrations, pass down the line to the fish? (Remember the string and cup telephones you used to make.) Any of you guys who dive know too well the sound of a boat motor heard underwater. If sound is passed on, is that necessarily bad? Or do we consider a quieter reel at times when in still water, a back bay?

Or how 'bout this? Purchase an SOL Surf Rod

Music Player and choose what tunes to send down the line. Gotta play the blues for choppers, I have friends who would play The Theme From Jaws, (not me). What do bass really want to hear?

I also own one with a spare spool. Given to me by a old fellow up at Montauk. I use it very sparingly because I want to leave it in working condition. The Surfcaster has parts for these reels I hear. Built like a tank however! Mine is about 50+ years old.

crakreel.jpg

Couldn't scan the whole reel but here is the spool atleast smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Montauk Pete (edited 02-03-2001).]

I can't see noise going down mono from the reel, it's too rubbery. really tight braid ... maybe, but not likely. there's always some curve in the arc between your rod tip and the plug. However, there will be a harmonic generated by current across line. Do fish notice? Probably they do. Does it matter? No way to tell.

Paulbro--your picture illustrates the one glaring weakness of these reels--the screws. I can see that the top one on the side plate had the head snap off. They're very brittle, both those, and the ones securing the internal parts.

The gearing, on the other hand, is so solid that it feels like it was taken from the tranny of a Sherman tank. Perfect low retrieve for cranking big swimmers and jigs in heavy rips, too. Internals aren't overly complex either. The weight--yeah, it's heavy, but when you hang the reel from an 11-1/2' yellow glass Lami, it balances out OK.

I have two. The Luxor is black, and the Crack is greyish. I've also seen the greenish ones around. I wonder what the significance of all the various colors are--probably can tell someone who knows these mills what years the range of manufacture was.

Still have my Luxor and carry it as a back up. I thank god I do VS300 and VS250 go out of service a lot. I put it on my old glass 11ft rod this year just for fun and had a ball with blue fish.

I've got 2,my arsenal just recently was lightened by 1.I don't use them often,in fact seasons often come and go without them leaving the garage.As Ditch Jigger stated,the gearing on these things is incredible,you could probably pull tree stumps with them wink.gif

As for the green colored Cracks,they were imported into the US in the mid-eighties by a French doctor in Kew Gardens,Queens.These were not manufactured by Crack but by a company who had bought the tooling and Crack name.They were manufactured IMO with substandard materials and disappeared from the market rather quickly.

Too bad they weren't of the same quality as the originals because there was a real market for these big boys at the time,guys would act like they had won the lottery when they were able to get their hands on one.

------------------

CMSTRIPER@juno.com

The picture of the 300 got to me...it's a thing of simple beauty.

First,I have to say I have never seen one of these first hand so please help me with a few questions.

1.Does anyone know if there is a parts diagram available for these reels?

2.From the photo they are truly bailess?

3.Is the drag similar to a Penn system?

4.What was their gearing ratio?

5.Gears are what type of metal?

Don't know where I'm going, but I'm getting close!smile.gif

Any first hand experiences pro/con with these reels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BobNoFish

BobNoFish

The only parts diagrams are old ones, I have one some where.

This one came with a bail, but is modifed by removing it (common) and the line roller is underneath the reel and can't be seen in this photo.

My opinion the drag is not as good as the Penns.

The Gear ratio is 3.25 to 1.

My first hand cons are the weight. I think it is up in the 28+ onzes, the drag can be loud, but again this can be modified by removing the lever under the spool attached to with a screw, limited parts available and one or two places that will take it apart for you.

Now for the cons, simple design, (I can take it apart and work on it) and durability. This one is maybe 50 years old, works well when fishing the reel under water, and my last one is with the big handle you can crank fish in.

Paul

Bob,they're dinosaurs from a by-gone era but I do have a warm spot in my heart for them.I recently sold one to a very good friend and as crazy as it may sound,I was a little sad to say goodbye to it,sniff,sniff.Well it did go to a very good home.I'll try to answer your questions.

1.I don't know of a parts diagram available for them although parts are available from the Surfcaster.He won't sell parts so you have to ship him the reel to get a screw replaced rolleyes.gif

2.They did come with a bail but I've never seen anyone use the reel with the bail.

3.Actually,the drag is simpler than Penn's.

4.If memory serves,the gearing was around 3.3:1

5.Don't quote me but the gears were either bronze or brass.

I just checked and I have a parts diagram for the Crack 200 if you're interested in seeing that.If you're headed where I think you're headed with this,you may be on to something.Keep in mind,this reel was the basis for the Van Staal design.

------------------

CMSTRIPER@juno.com

[This message has been edited by CMSTRIPER (edited 02-03-2001).]

I scanned my Crack 300 manual and have the parts list and exploded diagram. I would post the files but I can't find where Tim has the correct syntax listed. Should have saved it when I had the chance. They are .tiff files about 200K. I seem to recall Tim didn't want files this big uploaded because of server space and the time it would take for the board pages to load for those with slow connections. I can send them via e-mail if anyone wants it.

man, there 's so much nostalgia on this board!

ditch jigger, you and i both learned at the knee of the "luxor master" himself...the late Charlie Demers!

the screws were not the only weakness, the spools were suspect also. on the canal, during the "worming years", at the r.r. bridge, we had a term called "blowing a spool".

when drifting worms, you'd often let out as much as a half a spool of line. when you hooked a fish, and began to reeling it in, the line would stretch as it packed onto the spool. every so often, after bringing in a fish, as soon as the fish was landed, and the tension removed from the reel, the spool would literally explode. this was due to the streched line, exerting so much force. it would seperate from bottom to top with a resounding !POP!. the only thing holding the spool in place would be the wing-nut.

anyway, i kick myself in the a__ every time i think about this. i used (back in the late 60's) to own 5 luxor/cracks. i had a pair of the big luxors, and one big crack. i also owned a pair of the smaller versions called, the luxor seven seas. looked idential to the 300, just smaller.

ok, now you guys are going to cry...

as mentioned before, we had troubles with the spools. the late paul kukonen had a contact on luxor spools. paul once sold me at least 15 used spools for somehere around $2 a spool!

this was back when i was 16-17 years old. i needed the money to buy a couple new mitchel 498's, and sold all 5 reels, plus the spools for something i the neighborhood of 60 bucks!frown.giffrown.gif (hey, i was a kid ok)

....man, would i love to have that stuff back.

does anyone remember the biggest reel there was back then?

it was called the "Alcido" (sp?)

it was a time and a half larger that the luxor/crack 300, and twice as heavy.

hey, sorry for the long post guys, but i love talking "old times"

So do I bob. I bought the Luxor I have now for $40 at a used tackle sale, about 10 years ago, in the building next to the Buzzards Bay theater. Cost me $40 at a time guys were paying $150+ in NY. If I knew they were going to be a specialty item here, and that I was going to wind up living here, I would have bought up every one I could get my hands on in the 70s.

Of course, Van Staal killed the used Luxor/Crack market on Long Island, all the Montauk sharpies grabbed the VS and the market got flooded with old Luxors and Cracks. So, I decided to keep mine for its sentimental value. Reminds me of those happy days at Bell Rd with my dad, and Charlie and the rest of the gang that fished there.

They also had a big Mitchell 498 at the same sale, manual pickup and all. Should have grabbed that while I was at it, but it had no resale value and I passed it up.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 02-05-2001).]