Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Bluefish in California

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

One of the strongest fish to be caught from the surf is a 10 - 15lb bluefish. I was fortunate(or unfortunate in other respects) to live in New Jersey from '95 - '00. During that time I made it a point to experience the fishery and boy was I surprised when a blue hit my kroc at manasquan inlet. The fight was startling compared to anything I've ever hooked on the surf at that point in my life. Drag screaming, pole bent. My 8' ugly stick was abused by those fish.

It would be a dream to have bluefish out here. In 1879, stripers made the trek. Too bad they didn't bring along a few blues...

I wonder if they could survive in our ocean?

I think the environment is suited for bluefish out there in CA (the entire coast). It's just unfortunate that they haven't found that coast line, There are pacific based bluefish,,,but from what I understand, they are on the opposite side, over in places like parts of Australia.

heart.gif I wish we had them here. I heard they are fun to caych. In the pacific (Australia) they are called taylor. The pacific ones don't get as large as the Atlantic Bluefish. I tried surf fishing fishing for them in the Philippines, but had no luck.

Aren't all our west coast stripers descendants of the 300 fingerlings brought over from back east? That tells you right there if the environment will support them, they will thrive. Wouldn't do any good to bring more if the environment isn't there to support them.

And wouldn't bluefish eat young stripers?

View Postbesides the humbolt squid, these guys will tear up everything in their path

we'd have to put that one on pay per view. maybe use the proceeds from the show to increase water flows from the delta.

It's funny that so many people complain about them here on the East coast. I love catching them! Read the east coast forums and see the hatred shakehead.gif .

Bluefish are great but they would probably decimate some of your other fish stocks. Salmon might take a beating. Do you have the baitfish biomass to support them? They eat a LOT!!!

Once tried to have bassmaster ship me a garbage can full of babies.

No postal worker would go near the damm bucket.redface.gif

Water temps might not suit a bluefish and the ability to get them to spawn.

View PostWhat salmon?

Ummm pssst the salmon fishery is in the dumps. We didn't need to have bluefish destroy it. We have the fish and game and the water exporters handling that destruction.tongue.gif

I'll be happy to mail you a couple blues. They might like the water there, but, 4 or 5 days in a box will probably kill them.freak.gif

If not, watch your fingers when you open the box.cwm31.gif