Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charloots

beer kegs

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I just saw something on tv. Thieves are stealing beer kegs to sell as scrap and they're getting $50 at the scrap yards. New ones cost bars and distributors over a hundred to replace the stolen ones and it's supposedly having a big impact on the industry. Yo, Brew...what's the real deal?

View PostI heard that the old $10-$15 deposit has skyrocketed to protect against theft.

Yep, we charge $100 deposit for the tap and keg...New kegs are $90.00 on up based on quantity. There is a company called Microstar that leases kegs which is very attractive to small breweries. Each keg on tap in a bar needs several more in rotation to maintain the inventory. =$$$$

scrap market is big, most of the stuff goes over seas. Common on the shoreline for people to have their plumbing stolen in the off season. These pieces of crap would steal the fillings out of your teeth if they could. I guess a higher deposit helps, but just like milk crates these kegs need to be secured, they get taken in bulk out back behind establishments.

our depsoites here are only $5 to $15 depending on where you go. I just emptied my 1/4 this morning I only paid $10 for a deposite on that. If my scrap yard is gonna give $50 for that 1/4 I'd almost be drinking for free. Unfortunalty our scrap yard calls the distributor whose sticker is on the side of the keg before they give you the money.

View Postour depsoites here are only $5 to $15 depending on where you go. I just emptied my 1/4 this morning I only paid $10 for a deposite on that. If my scrap yard is gonna give $50 for that 1/4 I'd almost be drinking for free. Unfortunalty our scrap yard calls the distributor whose sticker is on the side of the keg before they give you the money.

Little soap and water will remove that sticker wink.gif

View PostLittle soap and water will remove that sticker wink.gif

Yea but they still know it came from somewhere, its like the copper thats getting ripped off churches and job sites. There ain't no pulling wool over there eyes down there.

I have never paid more than 10-20 for a deposit but I have always had my own tap. Until recently I had a Keg orator and always got my kegs form the same place and never had to pay a deposit and having a good relationship with the owner rarely if ever got a sticker for a keg that was going in the fridge. Used to empty a ½ keg every three days during the week between the three of us and every night on weekends between the neighborhood. 6 months later I have moved away form DC and may finish a case once a month if that. At $50 a pop I could make a living taking kegs from College Park to the scrap yard.