Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chilibill

Penn Mag Power 990 for surf?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I recently picked up a Penn Mag Power 990 reel at a yard sale and wondered about using it with a conventional surf rod. It weighs 2 lbs and seems much heavier than my big spinning reel. Too heavy? Is this reel okay to use? The guy who had it was a pier fisherman.

Any comments will be welcome.

Bill

I used a 990 for years in the surf...just sold it recently. Yes, it is a big reel...and it's heavy...but it can cast 8+ and bait better than most. The drag is pretty much bullet-proof. I had mine paired up with an 11-1/2 ft rod (can't remember who made the blank) and never had a problem...you just need big hands to thumb the spool when casting. Go ahead, use it and have fun. The one you really want is the 980...perfect size for the beach. Damn shame Penn stopped making those reels. I had mine filled with 30ld Trilene Big Game.

like he said ... 980 is the size of a penn 140,abu 7000.,,newell 335 catergory.. pissa reels .. only difference between the 970,980,990 is the spacer bars/seat and the spool width ..

I use a 980 Mag Power on an 11' Lami for 5oz bucktails and big swim baits and I dont have any other reels that come close to the performance for this size class. It casts like a dream and is basically bomb proof, and the drag will stop a train. Its every bit as good as my M7700CT Morrum, but its getting a little hard to find parts so I dont use it as much as before.

Rock .., only thing that breaks or wears is the free spool lever spring same part # as penn 140 readily available . and the drag washers same as Penn Senator readily available .. No problem ,, unless you break a side plate . thats pretty hard to do ..

View Postlike he said ... 980 is the size of a penn 140,abu 7000.,,newell 335 catergory.. pissa reels .. only difference between the 970,980,990 is the spacer bars/seat and the spool width ..

The 970 & 980 are as you said, using the same guts and end plates with the only difference being the width of the reels. The 990, however, is a completely different animal. It is larger in diameter than the other two using many different parts in the gearing and drag. However, the 990 and 980 are the same width.

970/980=sane dia./different width

980/990=same width/different dia.

I own each of the series and absolutly love them all.  While heavier than modern reels, their easy casting and built like tanks that in my opinion are some of the best reels penn ever made.  Excellent reels.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I still have Mag 990 I use for big drum and small sharks from te beach. It's a work of art, bullet proof, it feels like you can reel the ocean bottom up with it. There strong reels. I use her on a 12' Penn Battalion xtra heavy rod, it will  cast 8 and baith with ease.

Edited by hunter123

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd spool it with 30 pound mono and wouldn't fish it with anything

less than a CCP 8-12 OZ. and Beight and Ait. Follow my lead and

the answer to your question is yes.

Edited by CastingsFun