Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striperfever

Heart breaker

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Last night I fished with A-jay.(great guy btw)

But it never fails. Wind was howling out of the NW, very tough fishing at this point later in the night. I had missed more fish then caught. Just one I was about to give up a very nice fish slammed my Eel. Went on a short run. As the fish went on his run I noticed some tention some where along the rod or real. Quickly turned my head lamp on and noticed my braided line was rapped around the bail roller. frown.gif By this time the fish had pulled me off ballance, my line was stuck and the fish wanted out!!! Luckly the fish broke me off, because I dont think I could have pulled a knife out in time. Being that my line was wrapped around the bail roller and with the fishing pulling as hard as she was, there was way to much tention on the line to even atempt fixing.

I didnt see the intire fish, just the tail. Im all most positive it would have clearly been my biggest fish if I would have landed her/him. Im guessing in the 30# range.

I blame the braid, weather it was to light of braid, or a combination of the wind? Im thinking about stepping up to 50# test. I was using 30#. It's not that the fish break the line off, it's the wind knots, and the line wrapping in areas it shouldnt.

In the past, ive lost some nice fish because of braid. I may go back to mono. Im that frustated!!

Funny thing was, I allways check my line after a cast. During the retrieve just before the fish slammed the eel, everything was fine. I felt no tension during the retrieve.

I need comfort... biggrin.gif

SF

That sucks icon25.gif Rule of thumb - after you cast, pull 6" of line off the spool against the drag - if it's looped, knotted, twisted, over/under anything or just plain cranky - you'll know when you try to pull 6" off the spool against the drag smile.gif

Rigged or live anguilla?

TimS

Otter!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Tim, I tend to do exactly that. Im just not sure what happend that time. frown.gif

Oh yeah rigged, thanks to A-jay for hooking me up with a few. smile.gif When that fish broke me off, Id lost the rigged Eel A-jay had given me. Luckly I have one left and I plan to make some of my own. wink.gif