Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaMaster711

Best matching reel

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

What is the best matching spinning reel, that is fireline or other braid-friendly, for this rod?

7' Ugly Stik Tiger 1-peice Medium-Light 12-30# line and 1/2-4 oz. lure weight

USED FOR TROLLING AND CASTING TO BASS/BLUES

I'm looking at a baitrunner or slammer? Any other ideas? confused.gif

well it depends on pricing I guess.

tica camry or taurus are nice (taurus is about twice as much). I am going to pick up a tica reel here soon. they seem like a good value.

shimano sustain is also a nice choice. also a larger stradic might be the call. again it comes down to pricing.

I have fished light shimano freshwater reels for bluefish and bass and beat the living hell out of them on 6# line. they fire off a LOT of line and the drags keep going on strong (knock on wood wink.gif )

keep in mind where you are fishing from. I mostly fish from boats so I can chase fish around when the spool gets low. The surf is a different story so line capacity will come into play.

edit: just read over your question again. if you plan to troll I would not recommend spinning outfits (especially light ones). if a big gator grabs the lure he is going to rip off a decent clip of line before you can even grab the rod and toss the boat out of gear. the 975 can troll well. I have both the lever drag and non and they work well trolling strechs down the middle between spoons/umbrellas.