Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hermit Permit

striper limit

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I don't know about you but fish over 32 inches are lousy to eat. I keep 1 fish between 26 and 32. The bonus tag should be for fish over 45 inches.

Those are my limits.

My favorite eating size is 35 - 40 inches.

And so far the fisheries managers appear to be doing a good job on managing the fishery, so I do not think any change of the regs is in order.

And do away with bonus tags. Make the rule and stick with it w/o providing means to get around it. How ridiculous.

To each their own.

Steve C.

[This message has been edited by Steve Coleman (edited 02-09-2003).]

This shoudl be good........no one ever agrees.........PersonallyI like a 30-32 incher for the table. IT feeds us 2 meals. As for the bigger ones not being as good I never noticed a difference. I notice more of a difference based on what they had been feeding on.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

One fish per day, don't see a need to change that.

As for length, just thinking out loud, without getting into F factors etc, perhaps a slot size between 30 - 40 inches, anything over that release to breed.

Maybe a bonus tag can allow someone to keep an over 40 in. fish say once or twice per season so that fish isn't shut out from being kept.

Again, just thinking out loud.

After the PCB article a couple of weeks ago and again today in the Asbury Park Press - I'll be catching, measuring, and releasing regards of length. Until now - I'd eat the small ones before the big ones. Then again I've not caught many big ones, just fished for em.

------------------

I've Gone Over to the Dark Side

I am going to try something.. Maybe if I randomly blurt out something I can get some responses like Hermit Permit did up there..

Here were go..

I think that 10 year olds should be able to drive cars.

Ok let's see how many responses I get!!

Seriously.. what were you expecting.. a medal or something? HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif

Alex

[This message has been edited by castingkid (edited 02-09-2003).]

Alex, I think he was just trying to see whom, if anyone, agrees with him. Nuttin' wrong with thatsmile.gif Besides, when I was 10 I learned how to smash cars up with a forklift at Wall Auto Wreckersicon14.gif Learned how to spear 'em right through the side windows and lift 'em up and stack 'em. All kinda cool stuff. So I think all 10 years olds that are allowed to drive must use forkliftswink.gif

I have no issue with the way the rules were intended to be - 2 fish per day at 28". If you live in NJ it's now 1 @ 24" to 28", 1 @ 28" plus and another with the free bonus tag over 28". 3 per day/per angler/365 days per year. That's just too many dead stripers.

The one fish thing works for guys who fish frequently. For guys that like to eat 'em and only get out a few times a year, let 'em take 2. The problem is when guys who fish 5 days a week somehow feel the manly need to "limit out" everytime they canfrown.gif The captains who think they can only be popular if they kill a "boat limit" every time they sailfrown.gif Etc. And that's all legal...perfectly legal and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it.

That's where the dilemma comes from - trying to make size and bag limits that suit everyone and do not allow anyone to take advantage of the resource. I see folks in the paper in the spring/fall - same names - with 3 fish limits. Every day. Some times a limit in the morning and a limit in the dark. Four or five days a week. Unless these guys have industrial freezers, they are taking advantage of a very liberal bag limit. And they make sure their name is in the paper or on the shop website. I call them "tackle shop heros". Then you have the other extreme - a guy who gets out once a month if he's lucky - and has 3 kids and a wife who love to eat striper. That's the guy that I'd help fill his 3 fish limit myself if I could. He'll take care of those fish like they came from the grocery store and will not be back tomorrow...and the next day and the day after and the day after.

Try to write up rules that allow the ocassional angler to bring home some fish but prevents the tackle shop heros from killing hundreds of fish just to appease his ego? Ain't easywink.gif

TimS

My very humble opinion.

1 fish/day at 36"

If its fishing for food that you're after go keep your 14 weakfish at 14", 15 bluefish at any size, and unlimited amount of kingfish at any size. Hell they're all easier to catch than stripers anyway.