DUI on a Kayak?

Hi All,

Just back from vacation where I broke in my yak on two lakes, caught trout and bass. I found that a couple beers really make the longer paddles a lot more tolerable in hot weather. Obviously I wouldn't want to ocean kayak buzzed, but it did make me wonder if it's legal to drink while kayaking? Or do BUI laws only apply to motorized vehicles?

I found a few contradictory statements on the subject on the web.

Anyone know for sure?

A kayak is an excellent example of the type of craft exempt from boating while intoxicated laws. There are many other vehicles and water accessories which are indeed regulated, including water skis and jet skis. If the craft has any kind of motor at all, it falls under the jurisdiction of the BUI laws.

Found this, but logic tells me you may be right... since you can get a dui on a bicycle in cali...

But I'd like to know for sure, just out of curiosity... How about a float tube?

I think it's best that if you are in the water, regardless of the type of craft, to use common sense, since there are so many ways that being impaired could lead to disaster on the water.

On a kayak, you might lean too far and end up in the drink, or venture into waters or weather that you might have otherwised avoided.

If you want to enjoy a beer in a kayak, don't take more than two with you, and bring along bottled water. You can get that experience of cracking open a cold one and relaxing in the calm, but not creating an opportunity to making impaired decisions; like deciding when you've had enough.

Personally, I follow the same rule on my kayak, as I do on my boat, zero while it's in the water. I do not need any laws or "legal limit" to make that call.

"... let it go - lets move forward."

Good advice there, I am aware that alcohol dehydrates you, etc... I'm not planning on getting drunk out there, just curious so I don't end up with a ticket from an overenthusiastic ranger.

I know there's no law against an open container on a boat, but so far I haven't seen anything regarding kayaks. But apparently it's legal to get loaded floating on an innertube... just makes me curious, since kayaking is basically just a paddle above that. And there's a whole lot of boating laws that don't apply to kayaks, (hull registration, lights, whistle, flares, etc).

I say go for it, if you don't mind drowning! Think of all the stupid things you've done while under the influence. Put yourself in an unstable yak, on the ocean while trying to control multiple rods. Just make sure you have a phone, flare, whistle, and lifevest when you go, you'll most likely need it.

"Successful people make it a habit of doing what unsuccessful people aren't willing to do"

ah pretty soon u wont be able to do anything w/o getting in trouble.

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

As I mentioned in my initial post in this thread, I have no intention of getting drunk out in the salt. I'm talking about smallish, calm lakes... drifting in the summer breeze, casting along the banks and weedbeds, never more than a couple strokes from waist-deep water.

For those who don't drink on the water, I respect that... and if I'm legally able to have a couple beers on the lake when it's 100f out there, I'd like to know so I have that option. Simple as that. I'm well aware of the evils of alcohol.

Nothing wrong with knowing the laws, is there?

I don't even drink beers normally, but damn they taste good on a hot day.

The two beers rule sounds reasonable, but I'd still like to know the laws.

a beer or two should not result in a BUI (and I don't think any state regulate kayaks).

The point is to keep it responsible, and if you have the six pack in your cooler, you are likely to cross the line. Why take the chance. Only put two in the yak, along with water and enjoy the day.

As for a boat, rarely is the cooler/fridge not well stocked - for my guests. That is why I choose to keep it at zero for me. Once we are back on the dock, then I'll enjoy.

In the boating forum, I read it's a smart idea to require your drinking guests to put on the pfd.

"... let it go - lets move forward."

They could nail you for drinking in public or public intoxication. Probably only if you were openly drinking and/or acting irrationally.

I dont drink, but when I did a calm day on a yak would have begged for a beer.

My thought though would be that drinking a beer while yakking would be uncomfortable with the high degree of Cardio and Muscle power needed. It would give me ajida. Like jogging and drinking one.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one here to enjoy a beer or two on the yak... Sometimes people get weird, thinking one or two=drunk and irresponsible, overlooking the vast majority of us who do and can enjoy an adult beverage responsibly. Believe me, I'm not the guy sinking beer cans at the docks and getting all loud and boisterous, or squirrelly on the water.

I hate the fact that so many laws are left to interpretation, or vague. Sometimes I think they do that on purpose just so the officer can make the call.

Pretty much just stating what everyone else has but in my experience...if there are no laws against alcohol or open containers where you are at, I have pretty much been told having a beer is ok, drunk and disorderly are not. I too have spent many an hour drifting downstream responsibly enjoying a beverage and some fine fishin'!