Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Braid to braid knots

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Time to replace the top layers of Whiplash 50 on the GS 525. No complaints, the stuff has a lot of mileage. On worn mono, I just replace the top hundred yards. You guys having any problems with braid - to braid knots? Interlocking loops with a Bimini in each end sounds good, so long as I use enough line so's the loops never see daylight until a tuna climbs on and dumps half a spool.

BBM/ I have done opposing nail knots with great success. If I'm near the top layers, I guess I nod to the academics and do 30 wrap bimminis attached via a twenty turn cat's paw; I've been considering this in the mono shock area for a totally different reason- I'm investigating if the 2X bimini/cat's paw provides some shock absorption in my braid/graphite combo's (fearing that I rip hooks out of their mouths).

JPL: that's an interesting experiment. I doubt that the 20' of mono that the IGFA lets us use as a leader is enough for a shock buffer, no matter what knot one uses ... but it does deserve a good experimental try. Why not reverse the line? Too lazy. the removal of two casts's worth of line is all that's needed, and the 525 spool has enough rooom for a new 150 yards of Whiplash. Gotta have enough for them bluefin in the surf. haw haw haw.

I would use a blood knot and glue it and shape it as the glue dries. My experience has bee that the 20 feet of mono makes all the difference in the world. Even just 3 feet of mono gives you a little buffer for shock.

saltheart is right , got lazy last weekend and didnt tie on my leader and lost 2 5oz jigs on first casts . I knew better but said what the hay it will cast . SNAP see ya . I se uni to uni knots . try reversing the line on the spool it should give you plenty of good line behind the lure/eel .

I prefer a blood knot myself...8 to 10 turns on each side, tighten carefully, then Zap-A-Gap and roll betweenst yer fingers for that shapely shape that slips through the guides perfectly smile.gif

And always use a mono leader...I like about 6-10ft of Fluoro...12-15 if I'm suspecting spooky critters about wink.gif

TimS

Brian... Catpawed loop to loop 30-40 turn Biminis is a good splice even if a big fish takes you beyond the splice.

If you don´t own already Geoff Wilson's "Guide to Rigging Braid, Dacron and Gelspun Lines" and all his other books do so. You won't be dissapointed.

Sergio