Bunker

Rate this topic

TimS

Interestingly enough, they abound - just like they're supposed to smile.gif

It's weird to see schools of them just off the beaches this time of year - but only because it's been so long that we've had it this way. It used to be that there were almost always bunker just off the beach - anytime in June, July, August and even September.

Their continued existence just off the beaches right now is re-kindling my optimism wink.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Some of them ain't bunker, they're juvenile sea herring. Pod after pod after pod of them going past Asbury this morning. They're like five inches long and look just like bunker till you snag them and reel them in. I never saw anything like it before.

Think they eat spearing?

this has to be the most disrespectful and disgusting thread I've ever seen posted

Some of them ain't bunker, they're juvenile sea herring. Pod after pod after pod of them going past Asbury this morning. They're like five inches long and look just like bunker till you snag them and reel them in. I never saw anything like it before.

Think they eat spearing?

I made attempts to get some with a cast net...JEEZ they move out quick. They are defintely afraid of the boat unlike some bunker I have seen which will basically swim right into it. I got pissed after missing 4 throws and started snagging them. (remember that BIG flatties like to eat these) wink.gif

oh yeah, I sent some out live but nothing took them confused.gifconfused.gif

The ones I was snaggin' was bunker - I promise smile.gif

Funny thing about them herring...they weren't where they had been recently and I was wondering where they went --- and now I know -- they went out into the ocean smile.gif

As much as I'll miss them where they used to be, I guess they'll liven up some things on the outside icon14.gif

Anyone remember the miles long schools of 3-5" anchovy we used to see pushed up to the jetties around here a couple decades ago? Yikes...that was cool stuff redface.gif

TimS

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Anyone remember the miles long schools of 3-5" anchovy we used to see pushed up to the jetties around here a couple decades ago? Yikes...that was cool stuff redface.gif

TimS

Early last August they showed up in Brick/Lavalette Tim... A bunch of them washed up right into the surfline - we bagged about 3 bags of em'.. A day later, on the boat, we found out they make great fluke bait cool.gif

The Knights Who Say "Nee" demand a sacrafice! First, you must go out and get another shrubbery! Then, you must cut down the largest tree in the forest with.................A HERRING! Cut down a tree with a herring, it can't be done! Oh, don't say that word!

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

We just returned from a week's vacation in Sandbridge VA and we saw bunker shools all along the beach all week. There were also schools of taylor blue all week as well (not nearly as plentiful as the bunker). We have caught bluefish here before but usually a one and done kinda thing. This week they were there in numbers. As far as the bunker go they were decent size 8-11" and they were all over the place (amazing numbers). I snagged a few for bait and they were loaded with small shrimp like critters.

And the schools of Tinker Mackeral so thick you could walk on them. eek.gif

Ahhh...the tinker mackerel...a weakfish/striper summertime candy smile.gif I made a fly I called the "Blue Deadly" based loosely a Maine smelt pattern called a "Ripogenus Smelt" - basically a deciever with white hackles and then one blue hackle on each side and a final grizzly hackle over that - when wet, it looked just like a tinker mackerel - and the bass and weaks gobbled it up icon14.gif

Whatever happened to the tinkers? cwm13.gif

Allen, those anchovies used to basically choke the life outta the shallows - a couple summers, they packed from the sand out beyond the jetty tips - for miles! 3-5" and they couldn't move. It's was moider! wink.gif

TimS

Allen, those anchovies used to basically choke the life outta the shallows - a couple summers, they packed from the sand out beyond the jetty tips - for miles! 3-5" and they couldn't move. It's was moider! wink.gif

TimS

Last summer was only like the second time I've ever seen them washed up!

One thing I noticed about them is they got mushy real fast - you couldn't keep them on the hook for more than 5 minutes b/c they'd get all cut up if a fluke didn't eat them..

I wish they'd wash up again rolleyes.gif