Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Directions for a trip south ..

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, thanks to how safe air travel has been latley I get to drive to Florida tomorrow. After reading Ed's post with the mention of DC traffic, I'm wondering if there is a good way around it. I will be leaving from Monmouth county NJ around 1:00 in the afternoon which would put me in DC for rush hour. Any good routes around the traffic ?

Thanks in advance ..

Sorry....there is no "good way" to bypass our Nation's Capital wonderful rush hour. Welcome to my daily he**.

However, I will recommend an alternative route so that you can avoid the biggest nightmare in our fair town called the mixing bowl. This is the junction of our Beltway (I495)with I-95 in Virginia. Avoid it like the plague.

The Alternative - After your on the Beltway (I495) take Route 5 South which merges into Route 301 in Brandywine, MD. Continue on Rte 301S over the Potomac River Bridge into Virginia. Continue on this same road, it changes to Rte 207 (after Fort A.P.Hill.) and will return you to I95 about 10 miles north of Kings Dominion.

You will still hit rush hour traffic on part of the beltway, Rte 5 and Rte 301 until you get past Waldorf, MD. Then it should be full speed the rest of the way.

Good Luck!

------------------

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot. ~ Steven Wright

Dunno what your destination is, or what time constraints govern your travel, but ...

When I drive to South Florida from NYC, I always leave after dinner. I drive all night, and just about the time I'm seeing double, I roll into LUMBERTON, N.C.

That place exists because of I-95

Nothing but motels! INEXPENSIVE motels.

I get a room, sleep for 5 or 6 hours, and

continue to Florida the next day.

Depending on where you are headed,

you might even arrive after dark.

Florida is a LONG state.

The one thing you won't see, that I usually do

is SNOW on television coverage of "back home"

(I vacation in February)

Flounder

Too Late I just re-read your post. You are gone. I'll leave it in case you check the site before you come back.

You aren't going to miss all the traffic. However since the 95/495 interchange is under construction I would avoid that. I would take 95 into Baltimore and take I895 when it splits off. This will run you into I 97. Take I 97 til it hits route 3. Exit onto route 3 south. (I don't think there is a north.) This will run you into route 301. Take 301 over Potomac River, through A.P. Hill Army Base and then take 207 bypass around Bowling Green and this will hit I95 south of Fredericksburg. No guarantees. You could also try taking route 13 through the Delmarva peninsula down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and come out at Norfolk. I have never tried this one.

[This message has been edited by TomR (edited 11-15-2001).]

Hey, JAG, do your directions work in reverse?? We live in PeeA and daughter goes to W&M in Billyburg so we often hit that merging mess headed north, before the Woody Wilson bridge about 5-10 mi. Any suggestions northbound??

thanks

I love this site, I'm heading to SC on Saturday nite, leaving at 7PM and driving thru the night. Is there construction traffic around DC at midnight on saturday? I am checking out the map and the Tom R route sound good, is it necesarry?

OK, Jag looks to have given me some good directions as how to avoid as much DC traffic for tamarra as I could have hoped for. (thanks Jag).

I 95 North to Rte 207 which will change into Rte 301North.

Stay on Rte 301N until you hit Rte50E/Rte301N in Bowie, Maryland. McDonalds on left Saturn dealership on right, Ramp in front of you on right.

Stay on Rte 50E over Bay Bridge ($2.50 toll going east) (which reminds me...the Potomac River Bridge is a $1.50 toll going South, free coming North)

Stay on 50E almost 'til you get to Ocean City, MD.

Take Rte 90 into Ocean City. It Hits around 61st Street.

Turn leftat light, head North on Coastal Highway (Rte1 I think) where Rte 90 deadends

Keep on Rte 1 Coastal Highway, cross over Indian River Bridge.

Next left and another left, into state park, look for pavilion........

But here is my dilemma. I have know idea where (what state) I'm supposed to pick up

207?

Anybody got an idea or a landmark or sumthin to look for confused.gif

Thanks in advance,

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Route 207 is in Virginia just south of Fredericksburg. It connects 301 and I95 it doesn't look very long on map. If I remember right there will be signs for the Route 301 warning you it is coming up. It is right by A P Hill Army Base.

Also if you are going to Indian River, I wouldn't go all the way down to Ocean City. When you go across the Bay Bridge you are almost due west of Indian River and Ocean City is 25 or 30 miles south of Indian River. I suggest you take Route 404 towards Georgetown DE.When in Georgetown you take Route 9 towards Rehobeth Beach and then take 1 south to Indian River. Some of the guys might have a modification of this route. I think it saves close to an hour taking route 404. Look at a map if you have one. Or get a map off internet. Like from Yahoo.com.

Linney,

I don't think they will be closing off any lanes early Saturday night at I95 and I495 in Springfield. If you are talking about going through Washington at 7:00 that will be rough. Though 7:00 from your area should be OK at Washington anyway.

Now coming back north the Sunday after Thanksgiving is rough. Big backups of 50 miles or more. In my experience 301 didn't help for that Sunday. I don't go to OBX anymore on that holiday weekend.

Glad I could be of service!

Hope everyone has an easy and safe travel over this weekend and the Thanksgiving Holiday!

Can't make the IRI Flingette due to Mr. Mom duties.

I'll be headed to Richmond for Thanksgiving and onto OBX on Saturday/Sunday! Hope to see some of you on the Point!

------------------

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot. ~ Steven Wright