Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tomasas

your favourite surf rod and reel...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Big water,,,10' St. Croix - 706

Jetties/Beach - 8.5' Glomis cut down to 8' with 5500. Lookig for a replacement for that hunk of junk reel though...

anyone got an old 550.

Eeeeels........

That 10' St. Croix is one sweet factory rod! It's one of the few 2-piece rods that "feel" like they are 1-piece. I use one with a Penn 704 for baitfishing.

You should check out the Daiwa 2600SS "Whisker" reels. They have one of the smoothest drags around, and were drastically reduced in price when the "Whisker 2" was introduced. (But NOT discontinued!) If they were a good value at $160, they must be a GREAT value at $90! I have one on an 8'6" St. Croix, and I suspect that is my favorite combination, because it's light enough to throw all day, even for someone as out of shape as me!

Flounder

[This message has been edited by Flounder (edited 10-12-2002).]

My Shimano has never failed me... Iv'e never broke off. I've never been spooled. Never had a snap fail. ..my biggest is thirty something..... But I've yet to lose one to the ocean so maybe I can't be trusted to be true.

I've never hooked up and lost. Maybe I have Ben Missinsmile.gif sumpin?!

I wanna go to lawnguy land tongue.gif

------------------

Ben Searchin for the Jersey Girl

Guess,I'm in the wrong part of this board to be givin advice on surf tackle.. rolleyes.gifMy idea of surf tackle is a 12'3" breakaway(heavy) or to go on the light side a 12' loomis 1448.. Both equipt with a diawa slv 30 or 20..Either rig will throw 8 an bait,or eel,if that's your deal.. biggrin.gif The breakaway throws 10 and bait,down here,ya need that sometimes...rolleyes.gif I'm gonna have to do some of that up north striper fishn one day,sounds like it's easier on my shoulder..... wink.gif

For bait it's either a SB136 4M cut to 10'10" from the butt or a Breakaway 1209. The reels vary, depending on what I feel like using - Penn 975 w/ 65# Whiplash, TiCA Gemini w/ 80# Whiplash, SL30HV w/ 25 funny glowing Big Game Solar lineicon15.gif, Abu 7500C3 w/ 65# Whiplash, or my new favorite Abu 7000C4LD (Lever Drag) w/ 65# Whiplash. I like the LD for bait fishin' cause if I'm holding the rod, I can lock the drag with the lever and really get the hook buried, then back off to fight the fish. The lever lets me do that without me having to guess how much I backed it off cause you preset the leversmile.gif If I wanna spike the stick, I put the clicker on and I can set the spool tension from free spool to locked down, depends on the circumstances. And when I need to set the hook I just slap the lever all the way up and do so - no guessing, no fumbling with star drags. So far I'm lovin' it but it hasn't been properly abused yetwink.gif

Plugging it varies from a GSB120 1L that I extended 8" from the butt w/ either a Nautil 7500 or a TiCA Taurus 6000. 50# Whiplash on both of 'em. That's big water spinning gear for me. Conventional big water stuff would be a Breakaway 1208 with either Abu 6500C3 Mag or Penn 975 - both with 65# Whiplash.

My new favorite all around pluggin' stick is an XRA1204 spinning rod - I've only had it a since the Cape Fling, but I'm definitely in lovesmile.gif The only reel I've used on it thus far is the TiCA Taurus, but I suspect the 6500 Nautil will get some mileage on it when I know I'm gonna get thrashed by waves.

TimS

thanks a lot guys...

now another question... BEST COMBO BETWEEN 150-200$? i'm just starting and don't want to spent a lot of money (actually i can't afford that )cwm12.gif

For bait fishing on the Banks, I'll take my Seeker # 1338 with the ABU 7500 CT.

For casting metal 1 to 3 oz, I've got a Lami steelhead rod cut to 8.5' with a Tica 3500 with 14lb Fireline. Long cast and great feel.

For plugs and such, the 8.5' St Croix with a ABU 5600 C4 with 14lb Fireline again.

I love my 120 1L . I had one wrapped conventional and liked it so much I got one wrapped as a spinner. I have a nautil 7500 on there and though I 've only used it twice so far, I look forward to puttin' it to the test in RI and the end. smile.gif

luke