Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

706 Roller Bearing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I've got a few 706's and they all make a racket with the roller bearing. They spin great, but anyone who has one knows the the hollow, scraping noise I'm talking about. Honestly, it doesn't bother me much, but now and then I want to be a little more stealthy. Not to mention the noise drives my buddy 8ball nuts. redface.gif

I've tried oiling them, greasing them, but they still keep playing their tune, whether an old greenie or new, out of the box black and gold. Am I missing something?

Sounds like an army of enraged mice attacking a grain bin. eek.gif

Might be a pretty effective Kitty Cat caller though.

Its all pART OF THE "z" EXPERÄ°ENCE....

The noise slowly tranforms you into a old crusty salty surf rat that knows everything and distains questions... soon you will develope the blank look of disgust other wise known as the "get the hell outa here and leave me alone you lowly googan" look..

Yup them "Z's" last forever and have a cult following that is the warmest friendliest people on earth... biggrin.gif

I've lived with the noise for a few seasons already. I just have one that is REALLY loud. Other than that it's like butter. Maybe I'll just get a new pick up assembly.

Look at it this way---that grinding tells you it's working and your line ain't twisting wink.gif

Then again, it tells guys a gazillion yards away when you have a fish on---kinda defeats the purpose of removing the drag clicker spring frown.gif I suggest splashing your legs around and yelling, "*&^%$#@ bluefish" at the top of your lungs cwm13.gif

I use Reel-X in mine and it does help quiet it down---for about the first 20 casts.

I suggest splashing your legs around and yelling, "*&^%$#@ bluefish" at the top of your lungs

Don't mess with what works, just learn to adapt to it wink.gif

I have 2 and it really is a sign of being an old salt. I have on many ocasions have people say " you need some oil in that reel" but to those of us who have them it is music. Great when fishing at nite. I have had mine for 17 years and replaced the roller bearing a couple of years ago. I dropped the reel in the sand back in 1978 and that sound was there till I replaced it. Now it is BACK baby!! It is by far the best reel I have owned the reel for so long for the simple fact that is so simple to maintain.

U could spray some silicone spray on it every time u use it.or u could give it to me.I am the guy AJ warns u about.Warm an cordial as a summer mornin. HappyWave.gif