TLDig

Philly Cheese Steak

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

View PostI believe the order is placed wit wiz. wink.gif

Wit is for fried onions

Wit wiz is fried onions & cheeze wiz

Provalone or american is the way to go.

Wiz is a mess waiting to happen on your shoes.

Notice everyone eating a Wiz steak hold it out about 2-feet

in front of their shoes.

No one goes for mayo?

That's about as Philly as a steak sandwich gets.

The steak needs to be browned not "greyed"

during big rushes, pre-post games they make em so fast

they end up steaming the meat grey because there's so much meat on the grill.

Still tastes good.

Cooking more towards well-done gives the best flavor for my money

View PostWit wiz is fried onions & cheeze wiz

Notice everyone eating a Wiz steak hold it out about 2-feet

in front of their shoes.

That's about as Philly as a steak sandwich gets.

clapping.gifdrool.gifclapping.gifdrool.gifclapping.gifdrool.gifclapping.gifdrool.gifclapping.gifdrool.gif

A little editing, and I agree icon14.gifbiggrin.gif

Philly is one of those towns for me-been there a dozen times and never been outside of the airport or arena or convention hall, so Ive never been to a good cheesesteak joint.

I have been to the White House in Atlantic City and was told that its the real deal-are they right?

View PostWit wiz is fried onions & cheeze wiz

Okay, I can see I am gonna have to take this to the Tavern to get an official ruling...........wink.gif

But just one more thing.....there is a member here from Philly that goes by the name of Wiz Wit............and he took that name for his favorite cheese steak......wink.gif

when we make them in our resturaunts here in philly we take a rib eye, freeze it then slice it thin. when you freeze it it slices thin and clean no tearing. for outdoor event we use the same thing only we dont slice it oursevles we buy it sliced and frozen. When you go through 1000+ pounds at an event it takes too long for us to slice it ourserlves. and it is definately NOT steak Um.

the key to a good cheese steak is the bread. You need GOOD bread. We use amoroso rolls, they are ok but not great in my opinion. If you want great bread you go with sarcones or the conshy bakery.

for me its american wit, cheeze whiz is nasty nasty.

as for white house people rave about them. I dont really think they are all that great, they are ok but nothing special.

maybe ill make real cheese steaks for next years food fling.

View Postwhen we make them in our resturaunts here in philly we take a rib eye, freeze it then slice it thin. when you freeze it it slices thin and clean no tearing.

That is the secret!

View Post the key to a good cheese steak is the bread. You need GOOD bread. We use amoroso rolls, they are ok but not great in my opinion. If you want great bread you go with sarcones or the conshy bakery.

Don't forget Corpolese, a local and personal fav.

Conshy is just as good.

View Postmaybe i'll make real cheese steaks for next years food fling.

icon14.gif

View PostOkay, I can see I am gonna have to take this to the Tavern to get an official ruling...........wink.gif

Official Pat's House Rules wink.gif

"How to order a Steak"

by I. M. Hungry

Step 1.

Specify if you want your steak with (wit) or without (wit-out) onions.

{if you're not a rookie this should come naturally}

Step 2.

Specify Plain, Cheez Whiz, Provolone, American Cheese or a Pizza Steak.

{we have lettuce and tomatoes / { if we have to read your mind it's 50 cents extra}

Step 3.

Have your money ready. {do all of your borrowing in line}

Step 4.

Practice all of the above while waiting in line.

{if you make a mistake, don't panic, just go to the back of the line and start over}

Punk you are right corpolese is a good bakery too. I get my bread for home from the conshy bakery, my office is 5 minutes from them. We would love to use the small bakeries, they have great bread, but they cant supply our needs espeically in the summer, plus most dont deleiver which is huge for us.

there is so much good bread in philly. Im truly spoiled by it, when I go away I cant find a decent sammich anywhere.

someone remind to make cheese steaks next year.

View PostUm.....you "Wit Wiz" guys are losing the debate in the Tavern......tongue.gif

wink.gif

Story of my life, Steve.

No biggie.

Growing up wit Philly teams is nothing but loseing.

JohnM, what do you think it is wit the rolls in Philly?

Maybe the elevation and humidity?

You will never find a Philly style roll in Florida, regardless of who makes it.

If someone could make the kind of rolls we have here elsewhere,

they could make a mint in cheese steaks alone, nevermind the hoagies and subs.

Hmmm? headscratch.gif

It is not stakumms

If you put provolone on a cheese stake it is not a Philly Cheese Stake (American or wiz)

Toppings should be limited to onions and mush

If you are looking for pats or genos and think you made a wrong turn just keep going you"™ll stumble uponem.

Always open always a good time.

When I went to U of MD I would make the trip back up to Philly to show them MD and LI, NYers what it is all about.

View PostStory of my life, Steve.

No biggie.

Growing up wit Philly teams is nothing but loseing.

JohnM, what do you think it is wit the rolls in Philly?

Maybe the elevation and humidity?

You will never find a Philly style roll in Florida, regardless of who makes it.

If someone could make the kind of rolls we have here elsewhere,

they could make a mint in cheese steaks alone, nevermind the hoagies and subs.

Hmmm? headscratch.gif

I think the bread is good in philly because of the water and the humidity we have. Ive had good bread in places like san fran and london. They have humidity like we do. Its a theory anyway. Sourdough from san fran is great, baggets in london are very good too. To me good bread has a couple things, first its alittle tough/crispy on the outside. Not dried out but not soft also its the density of the bread, in most places the bread is light and airy which is ok if you like that, but I dont really care for it. I love going into a subway and asking if they have good bread. They say oh we make our own, my response is no, thats not what I asked, I asked if you had GOOD bread lol........places like subway dont do well here in philly. Too many good sandwich shops are here already and most people here are bread snobs.

I was thinking about the wiz thing last night. I think at places like pats if you ask fo ra cheese steak they give ya wiz automatically. My experience though is that at most neighborhood places you get american cheese most of the time when you ask for a cheese steak. plaice like pats, genos etc are drunk food/ tourist places. At least most of the time ive been to them we have either been drinking or have out of town people with us who want to go there.

I can ever recall anyone asking for wiz wit.........