Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Punk Freud

Downrigger gimbal mount?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Anyone familiar with gimbal mounted downriggers?

I'm trying to keep from drilling more holes.

I know Cannon offers a gimbal mount that uses existing flushmount rod holders.

Just a little concerned about the torque on the glass around the rod holder.

Any insight or experience?

They work as good as long as they are top quality. We had a set get hung up on the ledge and break the aluminum shaft of the rod holder. A good set of lee's stainless steel would have stopped the boat.

Starship, that's a pretty good endorsement.

What brand gimbal mount were you using.

I believe Parker installs Perko stainless rod holders from the factory?

Do you think Perko is as well buit as the Lee?

Thanks for the feedback!

The riggers were cannons, they were on a swivel base and gimball mount. I think everything was cannon. The rod holders were aluminum and broke at the weld between the base and the tube. I'd pull the ones you have and give em a good inspection. If you're using electrics all the more important to have good holders.

I'll second that as long as you have lee rod holders you will have no problems. I've used gimbal mounts for downriggers on several boats, no issues. they work fine. They actually are much easier to use that way then permanently mounted the bases on the boat.

In fact I have two brand new cannon gimbal mounts that I'm looking to sell. I think they go for 60.00 each new. I'll sell both for 100.00 if you are interested.

All my experience is fresh water. I've always associated the penns with salt. If the mounts are made for (or by) penn - they must be well built. If different grades are available it will pay off buying the good stuff.

Awesome, thanks everyone.

I'm now seriously considering the gimbal mounts.

Tailwalker, is that including shipping?

I can't commit at this moment, but I'm very interested.

I like the idea of a win-win here.

This all makes me very biggrin.gif.

I've got a pair of Penn gimbal mounts that will fit flush rod holders.  They work great, heavy duty aluminum, pre drilled for Penn & other popular downriggers.  They are angled . $80 for the pair.

IMG_20180407_165647275.jpg

IMG_20180407_165428124.jpg

Edited by frogman00
Just checked how much one costs

On 4/12/2007 at 3:48 PM, Punk Freud said:

Anyone familiar with gimbal mounted downriggers?

I'm trying to keep from drilling more holes.

I know Cannon offers a gimbal mount that uses existing flushmount rod holders.

Just a little concerned about the torque on the glass around the rod holder.

Any insight or experience?

Good rod holders are weled on the underneath side whrere the two pieces come together most have spot welds there. Plus make sure your Gimbel mount locks into the rod holders .some are too long or short and don't sit right.. You need backing plates on the rod holders if your using the downriggers .make sure your rod holders were installed with them other wise you will stress the glass.

I use the Penn's they are heavy duty. There are swivel matic attachment that goes on those Gimbel mount that makes life way easier especially for guest or kids. Not required but worth the money. Plus watch out for what boom lenghth you buy.

I use Scotty stainless steel gimbal mounts for my Scotty downriggers. They work well. I have had aluminum ones like what is used for the cannons and they worked too. 

Pay attention to how much weight you are dragging. I never use more than a 10 pound ball and most commonly an 8. 2nd, and probably most important is to get a downrigger with a clutch type of release system so if you get hung up it will feed line preventing damage up above. 

Good luck.