Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

What exactly was the bad part of what Imus said?

Rate this topic

206 posts in this topic

Evidently, Imus was picking on Women's college basketball and made some comments that weren't so flattering. I read them (see link to article below) and while I agree they were kind of crude, I'm not sure I see what's causing the big fuss. Here's the meat of the matter:

"That"™s some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That"™s some nappy-headed hos there, I"™m going to tell you that," Imus said.

Mostly, I don't see anything that is particularly racial in there...except I have to admit that I don't know what 'nappy-headed' means...(and I'm not an Imus fan by a long shot)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/

Nappy-headed is virtually always a black reference to African hair texture. I've seen original sources from the colonial period that describe blacks as "nappy-headed" and it enjoyed common usage in the antebellum period.

What Imus said was overtly racial, no doubts about it.

View PostNappy-headed is virtually always a black reference to African hair texture. I've seen original sources from the colonial period that describe blacks as "nappy-headed" and it enjoyed common usage in the antebellum period.

Well that clears up the term I didn't understand...I can now see how that could be upsetting to black people. Thanks for the response.

There was an uproar a couple of years ago about a childrens book that also used the word "Nappy Hair" in the title. As I recall it, it was a book to celibrate black children...to empower black children to be proud of their heritage...something to that effect, but no one could get past the title.

I'm a regular Imus listener, but I didn't hear the comments on the radio that day. As I understand he's offered a sincere appology.

View PostThere was an uproar a couple of years ago about a childrens book that also used the word "Nappy Hair" in the title. As I recall it, it was a book to celibrate black children...to empower black children to be proud of their heritage...something to that effect, but no one could get past the title.

I'm a regular Imus listener, but I didn't hear the comments on the radio that day. As I understand he's offered a sincere appology.

I heard a cut of the apology and it didn't sound too sincere to me, KoQ- sounded like he was reading off a prepared statement while someone had a gun to his back.

View PostI heard a cut of the apology and it didn't sound too sincere to me, KoQ- sounded like he was reading off a prepared statement while someone had a gun to his back.

Nah...only reporting what I read in the paper. It was sincerely written if nothing else.

If I get this to 2 pages I get a pound of IMUS coffee...three pages some of that greening and cleaning crap his wife is selling. Work with me here.

View Post

What? No one can make racial statements? In other words, we're not going to be called honkies or crackers or any other white-racial slurs any more? But it's okay if blacks regularly and openly refer to themselves as n*****s? They can but we can't? It's all one-sided PC BS to me.

I've heard of Imus, but I don't think I've ever heard his show. My only knowledge of this issue is what I've read in this thread, I didn't follow the link..........

I don't see any reason to apologize unless something was said that's untrue. Do black people not have nappy hair? Is "nappy" an unfair characterization of their hair texture? If it is then I can see why they would be offended, god knows I'd be horrified if someone called my hair straight, when it is in fact, slightly wavy. rolleyes.gif

It's hard to comprehend why some people believe, that the main goal of black society as a whole is to find ways to be offended by even the most trivial things. shakehead.gif

Just once I'd like to see someone tell Jesse Jackson and his posse, to go f*** themselves.

Imus has been around as long as Howard Stern. I listened to them both in the early 80's. IMO, whatever was said, was said to stir the pot. Imus has been around long enough to know what it acceptable and what isn't. lol. Ratings must be down. BTW, I didn't even know he was still around. Thought he faded off into the past. lolbiggrin.gif