Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

How long does it take.

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

The answer is not in hours or necessarily days, but steps;grips and reel seat are assembled possibly in stages and glues need time to set. Then under wraps, and color preserver needs to dry, wrap guides and more preserver to dry. complete any decorative finishes and more preserver, and clear final coat. The drying can not be rushed if you want quality. Also not to be overlooked was the initial setup, which if a good custom builder is doing you work, they will want to get it correct even if they have built the blank before. Please also keep in mind if you have some one who is good they are probably doing more than just your rod, and can get behind at times. Finally and please do not take this the wrong way, but you are way I will only build for friends and they only pay for components. I may fish and they may wait!

How long at first, for a plain jane rod I would say total time is about 6-8 hours, with nothing fancy. Once you've done a few, the time will start to go down. Most professional builders that are cranking them out one after the other, are probably spending between 1-3 hours per rod at most (preformed grips, pre-ground guide feet, predetermined guide spacing).

Don't forget the first rod will take a LOT longer than 6-8 hours, ordering components, learning what to do, trying this, trying that. My advice is if you are thinking about it, go for it. With a top quality blank and decent components you should be able to get into it for $100-$250 depending on fishing application (blank cost).

i just built a 6'6 spinning rod yesterday, took me total about 8 hours to build it with jsut a simple dimond wrap, i still havent put the epoxy on it yet i need to make room so it can spin for a day, but like they said it depends this past summer took me 15 hours for 8'6 casting rod

You have to look at it as having fun, so don't count the hours.

With some experience, you can crank out a rod in an hour. But if you spent more time you could make a really nice looking rod. So it depends what you want to invest in it.

I like it enough to spend time on rods for me. I don't like it enough to wrap for others (unless they are a good friend and don't mind me making them a rod in an hour!tongue.gif )

my 11'6" convench tool about 9 days...so almost 20 hrs all together...and that was built by a guy who does this on the side of his normal fishing business (he builds rods in his tackle shop).

idk who askes about price but mine was around $350 + reel

blank-$106

components-$160 (about)

assemblement-$85

reel-$120 (daiwa sealine-x 30sha)

Well, I have almost no experience (building my first rod as we speak) and I can tell you that assembling the reel seat and grips down on the butt end of the rod is at least a 24 hour process, although most of that is due to the glue curing. The actual work involved (for me w/help from my brother who is experienced) was as follows:

cork foregrip-reaming to size, 45 minutes

reel seat-adding rings of tape to make fit, 20-30 minutes (but we took this slow, my brother can do it in much less time)

mixing glue and putting reel seat on-between 5 to 10 minutes-not hard, but messy and you have to keep stopping to wipe glue off.

double wrapped cork tape-10 minutes-again, not hard, but you work it(via cutting or clipping away pieced) to make it fit against the reel seat...*I'm actually not completely done with the cork tape-right now each end is only secured by tape; per the suggestions from my other thread about securing the cork tape, I'll be doing a wrap/flex coat finish.

adding the already reamed cork foregrip-5 minutes.

Keep in mind that this is all for a new builder. For me, I hope this is the start of 1) something I'll like to do for the rest of my life and 2) (more immediately) the start of a 4 rod project that I'd like to complete, but with no rush. Good luck with your project.

Thanks guys. I appreciate most of the answers.

"Finally and please do not take this the wrong way, but you are way I will only build for friends and they only pay for components."

You must be great to work with, if no one can ask how lond it should take. Please don't take it the wrong way, but it's answers like that , that keep people from joining these forums and asking simple questions.

Thanks again

I guess I should be the one to stay off line. The point I was trying to make was I build as a hobby and relaxation. I have built one rod for a buddy and I am up to the underwraps on one for my daughter now and that is the last 12 months. When Billy40, Slappy,and One Gunner give you comments they are the PROS. You can look around this site and see some beautiful work. Sorry if I offended.

For your first rod you should only be concerned with doing each step perfectly. forget how long it takes , just take all the time required to do it perfectly. For some , that can be an hour or so each day for two weeks. or some , its all day for 5 days , etc. You don't want to settle for less than perfect just cause your budgeted time has been used up. You'll have the rod maybe 15 or 20 years or more , what's an extra week or so to build it right?

Maybe I missed something here. Are you having someone build you a rod? If that's the case, it could take days, weeks, or months depending on their backlog.

View PostMaybe I missed something here. Are you having someone build you a rod? If that's the case, it could take days, weeks, or months depending on their backlog.

One Gunner that is how I understood the question to. It is always important to get a lead time agreed between you and your builder before placing an order. Apart from order backlog one of the issues faced by builders is the none availability of certain components or long times on them. These issues are not always apparent at the time committment is given. I have suffered the frustration more times than I can remember being stuck for just one size in a guide set.

If you get to build your own rods you will get this happen to you to as you scower the globe for rod bits. Hell I live in the Uk and 30% of the bits I get are sourced in the USA. Back orders are a fact of life. Hateful at times but the way it is even from the best of suppliers who get let down by the manufacturese quite often.