High Plains Drifter

Detailing the F-14 metal lure

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I"™d like to detail out the F-14 metal lure (also called a Micky Jig). Bear in mind, almost all of my surf fishing is done on the Mexican Pacific where casting distance is sometimes everything. The two-ounce (really closer to 2 ½ ounces) is a casting rocket and it is extremely versatile. If I could only take one lure with me, it would be the F-14. It can be skipped over the surface with a twisting dodging action to attract roosterfish and crevelle. It can also be wobbled with a deadly swimming motion through the mid-depths for cubera snapper. And, it can be popped off the bottom for pompano and groupers.

The eye of this lure is very thick and I have not found a split ring or snap that will adequately fit it. The best solution is to attach a round nosed #54 Duolock snap to the eye and bend over the tag end so it can"™t come unclipped. A pointy-ended Coastlock snap will kill the action of this lure. Then, use your regular snap to connect to the Duolock.

The top of the F-14 has a crosshatched pattern but logic tells me a fish looks at the bottom of the lure. The addition of some stick on "Witchstix" reflective scale mylar and a stick on eye definitely attracts more bites.

The "V" shaped bottom surface causes this lure to not spin and twist. Instead, it wobbles side-to-side much like a plug.

Here is why the F-14 casts so far. It has a very thick and heavy leading butt end and a thin lightweight vane profile on the trailing end. The hooks folds nicely against the body. It flies true like an arrow. It is narrow and compact without large broad surface areas to wind plane. In fact, the broader 3-ounce F-14 does not cast as far as the 2 ounce F-14.

I"™ll take a stand. The 2-ounce F-14 will cast farther than any other metal out there and catch fish like crazy. - HPD

Looks good and I am always interested in long casting metal. Who's the manufacturer and where do you find them? Thanks for your reports & reviews--I always enjoy them.

CG

View PostThat thing looks nice. icon14.gif

Does it have to be reeled in at high speed to keep it up off the bottom?

No. It planes to the top at high speed. A slow to moderate retrieve will keep it swimming off the bottom and at mid depths. - HPD

Learn a knot called the "King Sling" and you can tie those jigs direct to your shock leader! The Berkley folks had a scale hooked up to compare knots, and King Sling consistantly outperformed a Perfection Loop!

Bomber makes a tin called "Slab Spoon" which (in the 2.5 oz. version) outcasts anything else that I have tried. Ya know how you skip a flat rock across calm water? Well "Slab Spoon" does that in the air. Just when you think your cast has reached it's apogee, "bloop-bloop-bloop" it "skips" even higher! Kastmaster doesn't even come close!

Hard to find, they are current production at Pradco. Metachrome/Blue has been my most productive color, but it comes in a dozen colors or more. "Scrambled eggs" has great promise, I understand it's a popular West Coast color.

AMMO

View Post

The eye of this lure is very thick and I have not found a split ring or snap that will adequately fit it.

BPS has replacement split rings that will fit it.

I bought two of these to try on my upcomming trip to the gulf of mexico.

I may epoxy some eyes on them this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.

The King Sling knot may indeed work well. But I still want a snap because I am a constant fiddler and like to switch lures frequently. One of the keys to finding fish on a limited time trip in a remote location (not home turf) is to RAPIDLY AND EFFICIENTLY trial a multitude of presentations and lures. Having to retie with each change would be inefficient and my leader would quickly become too short.

I use a Gemini Clip type snap that has a small diameter bend. A large split ring does not work with these. I'm wondering if a Breakaway clip might fit directly on this very thick lure eye? - HPD

High Plains, take a look at the metalic tape that Identi-tape, inc. has to add a little something to your lures. I just received a roll of gold and silver and plan on pimping-out some of my Spanish Mackerel lures for the upcoming season off Cape Hatteras. Thanks for the information on the F-14 as they also look like just the ticket for long cast to distant Spanish.

LarryB

View PostI'm wondering if a Breakaway clip might fit directly on this very thick lure eye? - HPD

I just tried a Breakaway FL1/80# test clip (the biggest one) on a 2 oz Kastmaster and a 3.5 oz Hopkins NoEql--only things I had similar to the F14:

Hopkins was to thick to get it onto the clip without deforming the clip

Kastmaster would go on, but the lure binds on the clip/no free range of motion.

From pics of F14 above I'd say the thickness of the spoon will be the issue.

Great write up, thanks.

i117350sq02.jpg

High Plains,

Will something like this work on the F-14?

Also, will something similar, but with ball bearings work too?

One more thing...How long is your swivel that you have rigged on your F-14s?

FYI... just put in an order for 3 of the 2 ounce w/ bukctail and 1 of the 2.75 ounce w/ bukctail!!