Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

What is your go to line in the surf?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Always a floater,it may have a 12 ft sink tip or I may add various lengths of T-14, or lead core,or split shot ,buts it will always be a controlable floater.biggrin.gif

I should have added this is when I'm throwing a single hand rod,if I'm throwing the 2hand overhead it would be quick full sinking,or intermediate line because I would be just casting and stripping, no line presentations involving mending.cwm12.gif

I started with a full intermediate, but switched to intermediate running line and shooting heads. For me, much less false casting, plus I can change the sink rate really quick.

PEC54 - Interesting to hear you using a floating line. It was recommended to me to go with an intermediate to get it subsurface so the waves don't mess with it as much. Of course, you could still fish poppers, whereas I can't...guess it depends on conditions.

picked up an extra spool for my reel so I can bring two lines. Usually have the intermediate on....but sometimes I wish I had the floater available when top water turns on...so now I will be prepared

Do any of you guys do this?....might get a head systems in the future.

View PostI started with a full intermediate, but switched to intermediate running line and shooting heads. For me, much less false casting, plus I can change the sink rate really quick.

PEC54 - Interesting to hear you using a floating line. It was recommended to me to go with an intermediate to get it subsurface so the waves don't mess with it as much. Of course, you could still fish poppers, whereas I can't...guess it depends on conditions.

Toothyfish;I use a floater to keep in constant control of the line ,I mend over waves ,keeping the fly in the feeding zone,when a wave comes in I mend over it keeping only the leader with the fly(s)in the wave curl or break,the fly acts like a real bait fish tossed and turned in the wave.A submerged line is is tossed around in the wave out of your control .

Floaters and Intermmediate tip with floating running line. Sinking shooting heads with floating running lines. Floating for control over the waves and the others for putting the fly where it needs to be.

BobPop