Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IgotWood

Baitcasting info and opinions...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm looking for your opinions on conventional reels. I want to start casting conventional this year, but I don't know what to get. I will probably put it on an 8' or 9' rod for throwing small stuff 3/4-1 1/2oz. I'm interested in a top shelf reel, just don't know anything about them. But remember, I'm a beginner and don't want to be cutting out backlashes every night. I appreciate any info. Thanks.

It took me 3 casts to put everything I had into a cast using an Abu 6500C3. I started w/ 2 1/4 oz but threw 1/2 to 2 3/8. I love it. Also I didnt backlash in 4-5 hrs casting, so I'd recommend that or a similar Abu. Read the instructions when you get it too.

Hey,

I recently started learning on a baitcaster last year and I personally think it is a lot of fun...the only thing is the more you practice, the easier it is to avoid backlashes. They can be very annoying but they are fixable. I find when I get a nest I have a hard time removing,I actually reel in, and then I re-cast and this actualy seems to work 90% of the time. I started practicing on freshwater but I have used a baitcasting reel in the ocean and the only difference I find is the calm water helps with backlashes. I recently purchased an abu 6500 c3 and I cant wait to use it. good luck!

-Oneofour

p.s. just some positive attitude, I dont know anywhere near as much as many people on this forum but there is always time to learndrool.gif

I'm less than 2 years in my conventional carrier, and I love my 6500 C3CT mag. I laso have the penn 525 mag which feels more substantial, but the abu is very easy to use and I think it casts a little further.

Good luck.

As already said you can go with an Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite, the green one. It is an awesome reel. When I bought it, the centrifugal brakes were not on, you can just put those brake blocks on and use the reel and you will love that thing very much.

I suggest you start with 14 lb mono with that reel and can later move on to braid if you want.

Maruthu

Another really solid reel for that size rod is the shimano calcutta 400. More money,but a good high end conventional option. Everyone gets some backlashes,but if you go easy at first and train your thumb for tension you"ll be fine. Good luck JP

One reel I would consider, and I don't see it here so far, is the slosh 20. I have the 30 and right out of the box I feel it is one of the most user friendly reels around. I also have abu's, 525 penns etc, but for bait fishing and casting the slosh is the go to reel for me. just my dime..salt