Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

What value does Tony Snow add?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Maybe this is not how it went down, but the man comes across as out of his league.

WASHINGTON - The White House on Friday backed off its earlier contention that then-White House Counsel Harriet Miers first raised the idea of firing U.S. attorneys - an act that led to a firestorm of criticism of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

"It has been described as her idea but ... I don't want to try to vouch for origination," said White House press secretary Tony Snow, who previously had asserted Miers was the person who came up with the idea. "At this juncture, people have hazy memories."

Snow's comments came as e-mails surfaced Thursday night pulling the White House further into the intensifying probe over the firings of eight federal prosecutors. The e-mails raised new questions about top political adviser Karl Rove's role in the dismissals, and came amid eroding GOP support for Gonzales that put his job at risk.

Snow said it was not immediately clear who first floated the more dramatic idea of firing all 93 U.S. attorneys shortly after President Bush was re-elected to a second term.

"This is as far as we can go: we know that Karl recollects Harriet having raised it and his recollection is that he dismissed it as not a good idea," Snow told reporters. "That's what we know. We don't know motivations. ... I don't think it's safe to go any further than that."

Asked if Bush himself might have suggested the firings, Snow said, "Anything's possible ... but I don't think so." He said Bush "certainly has no recollection of any such thing. I can't speak for the attorney general.

"I want you to be clear here: don't be dropping it at the president's door," Snow said.

I understand that the Clinton's, the Kennedys and yo mama have all BS'd you at some point, but saying that Karl Rove, the AG, and WH Counsel talked about firing 93 guys and that no one was there to take notes, sounds so unprofessional as to be an insult to the American people. People do not operate without records of what was discussed and agreed to, if only to CYA. Especially at that level. There is probably a record of who ordered the tuna sub for lunch that day.

humour wink.gif

regardless of his party, i think the guy is a pompous ass.

for someone not elected, he sure acts like he has been and is plenty critical of those who have been too.

I know US presidents are busy guys but why they don't face questions daily in congress like in every other major legislature, instead of hiding behind spokesmans media Q & A's to explain policy, I cannot understand.

and as too records or notes - see my thread about white house emails. I am sure they get around that somehow too.

he's good though. the press gets zero truthful info out of him. he can spin and deflect with the best of them.

he is Jonesy, true.

but then he gets to choose who asks him questions and how long he speaks for.

a bit easier than an open session.

He adds the same value as Ed MCMahon did on the tonight show. And every other spokesmen before him.

View PostHe adds the same value as Ed MCMahon did on the tonight show. And every other spokesmen before him.

Oh I think Snow is pretty bright...

And so many people had respect for him on FOX News.

That not is sadly all lost.

-spence

I think Tony is one of the best Press Secretaries ever. Very honest (as you can be in that position), articulate, pretty funny and can be combative in a nice way. Beacon of light in a very hostile environment.

That you lefties don't like him is such a surprise!!!!

That I like him is such a surprise!!!!

Pretty normal division along partisan lines.cwm33.gifcwm33.gif

If you were president you would be a complete damn fool to write ANYTHING these days.

I would use the payphone across the ellipse.

View PostI think Tony is one of the best Press Secretaries ever. Very honest (as you can be in that position), articulate, pretty funny and can be combative in a nice way. Beacon of light in a very hostile environment.

I used to say all those things about him, even before he was press secretary. Nobody did a non-confrontational/in your face interview better than he did. He's probably the best extemporaneous responder I've ever seen in any capacity.

View PostHe turns braindead liberals into moronic liars. That's why libs don't like him.

Read the original post and tell me who the moron is.

View PostRead the original post and tell me who the moron is.

Snow is a consumate spokesman. He is running interference for his President. Underestimate him at your own risk. biggrin.gif

View PostI think Tony is one of the best Press Secretaries ever. Very honest (as you can be in that position), articulate, pretty funny and can be combative in a nice way. Beacon of light in a very hostile environment.

That you lefties don't like him is such a surprise!!!!

That I like him is such a surprise!!!!

Pretty normal division along partisan lines.cwm33.gifcwm33.gif

politics aside, he is not very quick on his feet, and does not have the suberb command of language and good sense of humor to be a truly outstanding press secretary

of course these days, the oval office considers it a big plus if their spokepeople aren't under indictment for lying and haven't wet their pants in public lately