Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mb77

Question for you freshwater guys!

10 posts in this topic

I do some freshwater fishing in summer and fall mainly in one lake. Was taught years ago by an old timer how to fish this lake. Basically texas rigged powerbait worm and an occasional spinnerbait. The lake is fairly shallow and I am fishing from shore. From what I've heard the deepest parts are only about 8 or 9 feet. Also it is very thick year round so crankbaits are impossible to fish there along with anything else thats not weedless. I have an itch to go fishing so I will try tomorrow. Supposed to be 70 degrees. What and how should I fish tomorrow? I am in New Jersey if anyone is wondering and I catch LM bass and pickerel there mostly. Tried early season a couple times in the past with no luck. So I need to know what lures to fish and how to present them. Sorry for the long post just wanted to provide you with the most info possible so you could give me yopur best opinions. Have no idea what the water temp is but the past couple days its been 60 plus degrees so I guess it warmed the water up a little right? Thanks guys!!cwm12.gif

View Postuse a jig with a real slow slow retrive. the lake should not be to weedy this time of year. goodluck

I agree on both parts, at least it shouldn't be overly weedy .

I'd start on the light side with the jig 3/8 -1/2 oz with a small pork frog (jig & pig) should give you a slow sink rate and nice profile. Fished nice and slow should induce some strikes. Try to focus on any structure or features you are familiar with or near any feeder creeks and streams. Wouldn't hurt to bring some small soft plastics (4-6" lizards or crayfish) again light on the weight if any, texas rigged fished very slow.

funny thing is, I just went to ghost lake yesterday(2 hours from me) and it was frozen over...on the way back home I stopped at spruce run and that was frozen also...I managed to fish two different small local lakes and nothing I used produced anything. I used worms, every lure you can think of, etc. I didnt catch anything or get any bites. I am not tryin to persuade you to skip fishing, jsut be careful that your lake could be frozen.

tube baits. with or without weight. slightest weight possible to put it on or just above bottom. barely move it. worth repeating. barely move it. one step above dead stick. set hook on anything that doesn't feel like direct contact to free moviing tube. this could be slight weight like you picked up weeds or unexpected slack in line (reel up slack in this case).

I love to use Senko's and grubs. Another option is a little weird but works real well out west. A bobber with a leader to get near the bottom but with a small jig, grub, worm, Senko or Fin S type of plastic. Let the waves and wind give it action. Hard to cast w/o a long pole but doable if it is only 8-9 at the deepest...

Have fun. Looks like a good day to catch some rays.

D.J.

What Rocco said works pretty well for me. It kind of suprised me actually when I caught 12 bass on the first good day coming out of winter from this little pond. Working senkos really slow picks up bass also in cold weather. I've caught fish when there's been ice on the edges of the water. I fish for them pretty much till the top of the water is frozen over.

use senkos over the weedtops, jigs worked real slow, try to stay small. what else you could try using are texas rigged soft plastics with a pegged sinker.

Great info! Thanks to all who replied. So I went to the lake yesterday, started with a jig and pig...nothin. Then a 7" worm...nothin. Meanwhile the oldtimer who taught me how to fish was there with his buddy...in a boat though...and his friend was catching pickerel on shiners and he was catching bass on an inline spinner which I never heard of. Anyway I was still on the shore catchin nuthin. So I finally made my last attempt with a 4" worm and caught 2 pickerel. All in all I am glad I caught fish but was still a little discouraged that they were pullin up fish like crazy...not jealous...just discouraged. Anyway thanks again everyone!