Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GAstriper

Intermediate line suggestions

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Im looking for suggestions on what intermediat line to get. Im going to be using it for stripers here in GA. I dont need it to be tropical line, but I would like to be able to use it in cold and warm water. Any suggestions? Maybe HenryC can help me out, He is a guide here on the lake I fish. Thanks Josh

I'll thow a third in. I switched a couple reels to SA Mastery Striped Bass Series (both the fast sinking and the intermediate. I could'nt be more pleased with it.

Tight lines, FH

In the end you're going to end up with a list that resembles the fly lines pages of the Cabela's catalog. wink.gif

I didn't like airflo. gets sticky in the heat. I have the SC stiper intermediate on all my reels.

The Rio Lumalux interme isn't bad either.

I'm a big fan of Rio lines in general. After fishing them for many years I have had no major problems.

As far as which Rio take a look at the Outbound or the Aqualux. I'm slowly converting over to all Outbound lines.

Josh,

Today there are lots of choices on fly lines. Many are really good. The time of year you looking to throw your intermediate is going to be the key to your choice. MOST intermediate striper lines need to be used in colder water as the temps in New England/mid Atlantic in the spring and fall are probably in the 50's and low 60's. Those guys need line that is not going to coil all the time. Some of the intermediates simply cannot be stretched and lay out like a noodle. For most guys this is the toughest line choice of the bunch. Most of the lines mentioned above by the other anglers chipping in will do just fine. I personally like the old Sci-Angler striper lines. However, Cortland, Rio and Airflo make some great intermediates that i have used and would gladly continue to use. The lines that are truely not my personal favorites have not been listed. So there you go.......See you on the pond!

PS.......some really NICE teenage size fish being caught up on the banks (2-4 feet of water) and around the docks. It is just going to get better in the next 2 weeks!

HC

View PostI didn't like airflo. gets sticky in the heat.

Yes, it does a little, but I find that once the line gets wet, it shoots normally. I haven't had an issue with it in the dead of summer or middle of winter.

Thats for all the suggestions, I went with the SA striper because I found it locally.

Henry, thanks for the tip, I have been wanting to hook into some striper for 2 years now. I finally got a boat last week, hopefully soon. Thanks

GAstriper,

Check out my web site for recent reports on the pond............fishing has been pretty darn good over the past week to ten days. Fish are up on the banks. Night time bite IS ON BIGTIME!!!!!!!!