Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skate Bait

Daylight savings time-Why?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Don't forget that we are turning our clocks ahead this weekend. This is 3 weeks earlier than normal. We will also be turning our clocks back later than normal. This means that we will have more daylight for 6 extra weeks this year. But why are they doing this? Some people say that it is a way for us to save energy. That we won't have to turn our lights on until an hour later. But every study done since Nixon first decided to juggle the clock has proved that it actually serves as an incentive for Americans to get in their cars and drive more, and we actually use more energy! These facts were pointed out by Micheal Downing, author of Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Savings, who was interviewed on NPR yesterday.

View Postactually there is not more daylight-the daylight is just at different hours.

Thats right ....I meant more hours of usable daylight.

i always hated this change-as far as i am concerned it is for lazy people.

i get up at around 4:30 every day-i wish i had that extra light in the am

What he said.....and it is "Daylight SAVING Time"....not "Savings Time"

Being a morning person (usually up by 5AM), it doesn't save anything for me.....

Though on the other hand, come time for fishing, it gives me an extra hour of darkness in the morning (which is usually when I fish)......in fact, without Daylight Saving Time, come june and July, there would start to be light in the sky at about 2:30 AM up here....eek.gif

Actually, I just calculated it, and in Boston at the time around the Summer Solistice, there would be light in the sky at 2:06 AM if we didn't have DST.

Earliest Sunrises in Boston are 5:07 AM from 6/11 to 6/21

Length of Twilight in Boston between 5/26 and 7/22 is 1 hour 59 minutes.

That puts light in the sky at 3:06 AM DST from 6/11 to 6/21.....would be an hour earlier without DST......

I like the morning light. Up at 5 these days and the sky is glowing. Going to be pitch black again for awhile after Sunday. Its not so much the darkness as it is the return to darkness. thumbd.gif

View PostI like the idea....it's gonna save energy icon14.gif

I think it's great...I'll wake up earlier if I want to see the sun come up.icon14.gificon14.gif

View PostI'm up before 5. Give me more light in the pm! Who cares if its dark when I go to work!

Exactly! I could care less if the sun is up before I go to work.

Vast right-wing conspiracy by the evil rich oil companies to get us to use more charcoal and propane cooking out.

(how long before we hear this one?)

View PostVast right-wing conspiracy by the evil rich oil companies to get us to use more charcoal and propane cooking out.

(how long before we hear this one?)

SIM will be back when he's ready for an Extra Gold