Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wtpdosa

Need your suggestions: wading boots

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am a fairly recent convert from f/w to s/w fly fishing. My smelly and sandy old felt soled boots have seen the last cast and I've given them into the round file retirement. I've double posted this to the main forum with no comments yet.

What I need are your comments and suggestions for wading boots in the surf. Ones that I'm pondering are the Bean pull-ups with the Aquastealth hard soles. Has anyone tried these or if not, what are you using now in the way of wading boots?

Please help a brother out!

Thanks.

Tom

Ovis silverlable bootfoots, great fit and great warranty and they won't break the bank. Also if you are going to fish any rocky spots invest in some Korkers, they will save you from cracking your head on the rocks.

Good Luck

You will see most people with boot foot waders as opposed to stocking foot with separate boots. Any metal parts on your boots will rust out very quickly. Even if you get some sort of boots that don't have metal, they tend to fill with sand.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and went out in my stockingfoot waders a few times. In 10 minutes my boots would be full of sand and were very uncomfortable to walk in. I ended up getting the Orvis Silver Label boot foots and have had them for 3 years with no problems. Infinitely better in the salt than stockingfoot. They weren't the cheapest, but they have been great. Cabelas has some very affordable waders if you are looking for something cheaper.

RCruelles,

I agree with the boot foots and the Korkers, but until my Cabelas waders wear out I need a pair of boots to hold me over.

Rusty Loop,

I've had boots with metal tabs and you are right, they rusted out very quickly. I am interested in LL Beans Breathable boot foots that have the Aquastealth hard sole, but until I can save up some stipend ducats as a mendicant friar, I've gotta go with something that will hold me over till then.

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate your comments!

Tom

Pick up a pair of neoprene booties from Bass Pro Shop for $20.They zip up the side and work reasonably well.Got 2 years out of mine before the zipper tabs broke off,now I use pliers to zip them up.Much more comfortable that hard boots for the sand.

I used stocking foot waders until I couldn't stand the sand under my archs anymore. I used a neoprene wading ( flats boot) from Cabela's and taped the top of the boot to keep the sand out which worked for an hour or two. Finally got some Simms breathable boot foot waders and love 'em.

Paul

Thanks Skip and Paul;

I may go the booties route for now. Thanks for the suggestions. At my size, I'm all about comfort. wink.gif

Skip, why do you think hard sole boots are less comforatble than flats booties? I was thinking that they might have more support.

Again thanks guys!

Tom

I have the LL Bean studded aquastelth boots and while they are very nice,for the surf I prefer neoprene booties.The booties feel like you are wearing slippers on the sand.You dont really need the support like you do when wading rivers like the Potomac.Its almost like going barefoot.

Skip,

I like the idea of comfort, but sometimes where I fish I need to climb on jetties to get to another part of the beach. Sometimes the rocks are quite slick. Would the booties you suggest handle climbing safely on rocks?

Thanks,

Tom

Word on the street is that the LLBean studded aquastealths are being discontinued frown.gif . That really stinks because I think they are a very versitile boot. The studs do not rust out quickly, though they do wear down over time. I bought a new pair to replace my old pair two years ago, and they have another year on them before I have to find an alternative redface.gif. I like them because the provide good traction on the rock piles of NJ, and they give me good ankle support for climbing around, and they are a lot lighter than Korkers. In areas where barnacle encrusted, mung encases boulders are the norm Korkers would probably be a better choice. I wear them with breathables in cold weather, and with gravel guards sand buildup is not too much of a problem, though it can be a PIA when it happens. In warmer weather I wear them with shorts or bibs. For where I fish they suit me well.

Alan

I wear Simms bootfoot waders which I got on closeout (they always seem to be on sale somewhere on the internet if you google enough.) I think they are great.

I also have a pair of stocking foot waders that I sometimes wear on the beach with Chota neoprene booties that were made to be worn with flippers in a float tube. They are great too.

Tom,if you are crossing jettys you will need studded boots.The neoprene booties that I use are worthless for traction on slick rocks.If Gilbey is right,then you might look into getting a pair of studded aquastealth boots.I love mine but they are not required for wading the surf or flats.

do not get the hardsole aquastealth. the studs are impossible to stick in and they rust quick and have lil traction

Thanks Skip for your reply, and just as I thought about them being slippery.

Alan & Mr. Bigdeal, I have been a fan of LL Bean for years. I'm sorry to hear that they might be discontinuing the studded Aquastealth boots.

On my meager monthly stipend, I've been saving up for the plain sole Aquastealth waders w/o the studs. I'm also looking at buying a pair of Korkers that lace onto the boot. That way if I need studded soles, I have them. I hope that they are not discontinuing the plain sole Aquastealths!!!

That would break my heart as I have been saving up for them.

I find it amazing that with all the people who use bootfoots that no one has come-up with a pair made expressly for those of us who ply the surf and jetties of our shores. My goodness, they make boots and gaiters that are to protect one from rays, why not for waders surf fishers? The closest thing that I see is Bean's Westbranch bootfoot Aquastealth waders (what a mouthful).

These are the ones I'm talking about:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...from=&rtnComp=

These with a pair of Korkers and I think it'll do fine.

( I hope I'm not breaking any rules by putting up this link, and if so, I'm sorry. I wanted to show what I was talking about.)

Again, Thanks Guys!

Tom