Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. saxatilis

Attempts at Synthetic Hollow Fleye

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I thought I would tackle the Hollow Fleye tying method this winter. I wanted to try it out with synthetics first before making the move to BT. Here is the progression from first attemp (top) thru latest (bottom) with close-ups. Close-ups are shown in order of tie.

I'm rather pleased for a first try. These are all fishable but I know there is MUCH room for improvement.

Hooks are 2/0 Tiemco 811s Flash Blend Kinky & Angel.

Input welcome, please don't hold back.

Here is what I learned a couple of seasons ago trying a similar technique with synthetic materials. Basically the short version is that the flies look great out of the water, and will hold the profile for a while after you fish them a bit, but eventually they will 'collapse' back on themselves and you will end up with a much narrower profile. They will still fish well, they just become sand-eel imitations smile.gif

I believe its due to the fact that the synthetics don't have as much stiffness or tendency to hold a specific shape that bucktail does. Where bucktail will always want to spring back to its original shape, most of the softer synthetics (Kinky/Slinky Fiber, etc) don't have this 'memory'.

To compensate, I went back to tying all my larger synthetic flies with a corsair/ezbody spreader (ala Rich Murphy patterns). For smaller flies, I use Goop at the head/eye of the fly to hold the shape I want.

Hope that makes sense.

-- Tom

M. Sax -- I think they look great! Nice colors, nice profile and small, neat heads. Don't duck tying the pattern with bucktail, either, because this method of tying works best, in my opinion, with bucktail, which has a natural taper and memory. One nice thing about the synthetics is that you can trim to length, whereas with the bucktail, you have to experiment with using the lengths to create the tapers. Usually, at least for tying a bunker shape, the collars get progressively shorter, closer together, and more flared (wider angle) as you approach the eye of the hook, but you can play around to get different shapes -- for example, for a squid with a fat midsection, you could tie in regular collars at the bend and eye of the hook, with hollow collars in the center. For a bunker, you could try to keep the fly narrow in cross section but tall top-to-bottom to replicate the shape of the natural. You can also try to have the back be flatter, with the belly more flared by angling your thread wraps that way. Lots of possibilities and everyone's look different. And of course, you can always try from very sparse to heavily dressed. Anyway, really great flies for, especially considering you just started tying this style. I'd be proud to fish 'em.

Mr King Said...

Really great stuff (especially given these are first attempts)

My only critique which I have had to apply to myself as well is..

Less is more..

Try MAking the back part of the fly like a ghost, building up the amount of materials as you get to the front..

Great Work!

david

Very Nice! I prefer mine with a little less hair, almost where you can see thru the fly, this makes it a little easier to cast and still gives the large profile I look for when tying this type of fly.

Bounty- It's all flash blend of slinky/kinky fiber & Angel Hair. Sea Foam Green Kinky & Pearl Gold AH, Sea Blue Kinky /Damsel Blue & Pearl Gold AH, and Pink & pink. All taper, no trim.biggrin.gif

StriperT - I will have to pay attention to the "flattening" results you mentioned but I believe I may have avoided that problem by applying flexament to the fibers at the flare point and thru the curve of the flare. This is done for both hollow tie-ins. I'm betting this will push alot of water, especially the fuller-profiled one. We'll see how well it hold up, using it on the water will be the true test.. The Buffy is alot of work for me right now, and I'm not feeling that ambitious.

Jonny & David, thanks for the encouraging wordsicon14.gif!! you guys are largely in part responsible for my tinkering with this. I like what David sez about "Ghost" I get it. And Jonny, good advice on wrapping control. Nice visual for me to follow.

When I step up to BT I'll post. I know they'll be good with all the help I've received from the SOL community.cwm40.gif

Buffies are easy once you see it done.....Todays Buffy is much simpler to tie than the original....I no longer use the polar fiber belly and rarely use yak...I am digging the Steve Farrar SF stuff....I make the whole fly out of the stuff and taper with tapering scissors....

ezbuffy.jpg

m. sax - they look great, however, it has been my experience that they tend to foul in a weird way. it's like they almost braid themslves around the bend of the hook. More so than puglisi's material. I tried that 3 or 4 years ago (foolishly - talk about needing a comb!!!) on black mullet patterns in florida. But they were effective - as your probably would be.

last year I was messing around with tying hollow flies with vaious synthetics, wig hair in particular tends to foul. However, Dave nelson is right - make them as sparse as possible.

A side note, In the fall I started tying synthetic flatwings - replacing Steve Ferrars flash bend and other wig hair blends for all the bucktail - again - very sparse. I tie it hollow style. If I get a chance, I'll post some pics