Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mariner

Tica Taurus Spinning Reel?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone out here tried the Tica Taurus spinning reel offered on the online store?

It seems like a nice reel, but I've never held one in my hands or talked to anyone who has.

It's offered at a nice price point though and I'm thinking that I might get one for my backup rod setup.

The Taurus is a smooth reel, and I can recommend it, but only for bait fishing.

I tried plugging with it one season and the anti-reverse started failing intermittently. I never dunked the reel and I routinely rinsed and oiled after every outing. It turned out that the anti-reverse was faulty. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they fixed the problem. However the anti-reverse still fails intermittently so I use it only for bait fishing.

Another problem with the reel is the bail is too high. Compare it to other bails.

If you're not paying attention, you can bruise a knuckle.

Aside from this, the reel is great, especially the drag. Also, the finish is superb quality, but I'll still take a VS over it any day.

A reel comparable that would be better suited for plugging is the Daiwa Certate. The Penn Affinity is also worth looking at.

Mariner,Do a search of High Plains Drifter's posts about the Tica Dolphin as he gives that reel very high praises for long casting surf useage.Though that model seems to be not listed in the Online Store perhaps Tim could still get it for you if you inquire.wink.gif

Mariner

Take a look at the New Team Daiwa Tierra. I just picked up one and have

been using it for plugging the river. I'm using the 3000 size with 20 ln Power Pro and so far so good. What I'm starting to like about it is the way it lays the braid back onto the spool. I have the line packed on there almost to the edge of the spool and the Line lays back on really nice.

View PostThe Taurus is a smooth reel, and I can recommend it, but only for bait fishing.

I tried plugging with it one season and the anti-reverse started failing intermittently. I never dunked the reel and I routinely rinsed and oiled after every outing. It turned out that the anti-reverse was faulty. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they fixed the problem. However the anti-reverse still fails intermittently so I use it only for bait fishing.

Another problem with the reel is the bail is too high. Compare it to other bails.

If you're not paying attention, you can bruise a knuckle.

Aside from this, the reel is great, especially the drag. Also, the finish is superb quality, but I'll still take a VS over it any day.

A reel comparable that would be better suited for plugging is the Daiwa Certate. The Penn Affinity is also worth looking at.

I think for California surf fishing where you may fish sometimes calm waters but many other times the beaches are rough and your wading in the surf which will end up no matter how careful you are the reel will get dunked or even exposed to sand. For me I think it is worth the money for a Van Staal reel as they are made for any abuse that may come by and have incredible line capacity not to mention being one of the lightest reels around.

Just stepping out on a limb here, but if Mariner is looking to buy a Tica, I really doubt he wants to spend 600 bux on a Van Stall, there are other much cheaper alternatives that many many folks are happy with.

Again, just reachin a bit there.....well, since he did said it had a nice price point and allwink.gif

View PostJust stepping out on a limb here, but if Mariner is looking to buy a Tica, I really doubt he wants to spend 600 bux on a Van Stall, there are other much cheaper alternatives that many many folks are happy with.

Again, just reachin a bit there.....well, since he did said it had a nice price point and allwink.gif

Exactly, theres a big difference in price between a Van Stall & Tica plus not many guys would use a 600 plus dollar reel for a backup biggrin.gif

I own 4 different size Taurus reels - I give them my highest marks and recommend them without reservation. I've never had an anti reverse problem in any of them and they've been beaten very, very well smile.gif They are tough reels, they are built solid and are effortless to turn even after 2 or 3 years of catching lots of fish. Again, I sell them here not because I want to sell them here...I sell them here because it's my favorite spinning reel. For the record, I've never used one for baitfishing, that's what conventional reels are for wink.gif

TimS

I've owned the Taurus 3000 and 5000 and both have given me anti-reverse issues. Nice looking reels and nice finish, but the internals are delicate compared to a van staal. Also, the bail is awkwardly too high off the spool.

Compare it to others.

It's a decent smooth reel, but I wouldn't make it my primary plugging reel. I recommend it only for bait dunking. I also think it's a bit overpriced. Too

much plastic for the bail mechanism. But, they do have great customer support...

View Post. For the record, I've never used one for baitfishing, that's what conventional reels are for wink.gif

TimS

Cause you can't handle plugging with a conventional, maybe when you come out sometime, Shannon can school you on how to work plugs with a conventionalbiggrin.gif