Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ

Gas Grills

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

It's getting warmer...time for a new grill...

What's the best grill surface? I glanced at a few passing through Lowe's last night and everything was porcelin coated cast iron or stainless rounds. Would the porcelin coated cast iron chip with typical grilling utensils? What happened to the plain cast iron grates that you just seasoned every once and a while?

I know about BTU and surface area, so that's not a problem.

There is a budget, about $250 at the most right now. Any particular brands that are built better and hold up better than others?

I like stainless. My friends porcelin has chipped and cracked in a few places. He doesn't remember dropping anything on it. He can't figure out how it happened.

Stainless is the way to go. Porcelein doesn't hold up as well, and it's harder to clean. If the porcelein coating chips off, you'll get rust where the coating was. The stainless will cost you more initially, but you won't have to replace the grates for a long time. You'll be buying porcelein coated replacements in a few years.

Valentine

Mine is cast iron. I clean it with a wire brush and water, no soap, just like my cast iron griddle.

Save your sheckles this year and put them with 250 next year and get a weber. Any of the cheaper units will only last a year or two.

Johnwade, what smoker is that? Scott

Be careful with grills marketed as stainless - what they don't often tell you is what grade of stainless.

Bring a magnet with you if it sticks, the surface can corrode.

Look for 300 series stainless, that's the good stuff

All 300 with cast stainless burners is about as bulletproof as you can get

I picked up this one on clearance last year and it's awesome. I figure I'll never have to buy another grill for the rest of my life (and when you're replacing em every 3 to 4 years that gets real expensive)

Description

Glen Canyon offers stainless steel grilling perfection with a 48,000BTU cooking system spanning more than 896 square inches of cooking space. Complete with a push and turn ignition system, towel rack, convenience drawers, a double layer lid and 2 side shelves with handles. Includes 4 cast stainless steel burners with lifetime warranty, heavy duty rotisserie and cover.

GlenCanyonGrill.jpg

I have a Jen -Air stainless grill. expensive but well worth it. the grates are porcelin and are wider than the stainless or cast iron, and have held up to seashore living. the only thing i may have to replace is the hardware///screws, nuts and bolts.

also-- make sure you get a cover ... and stainless polish..it helps wear and tear.

Be careful with grills marketed as stainless - what they don't often tell you is what grade of stainless.

Bring a magnet with you if it sticks, the surface can corrode.

GlenCanyonGrill.jpg

That's the single best thing I learned so far in the month of March.

thanks,

chris

i just replaced my $200 char-broil home depot special after 5 years of use with a weber gold series...of course, i know someone who sells webers and got the grill at cost, which certainly didn't hurt...very nice grill...

My mechanic bought a Holland grill several years ago when stainless was uncommon. It has held up great. He's worn out a couple of burners and Holland Grill replaces them for free. He also busted a grate somehow - probably being beaten with it by his wife - and they replaced that for free too.

If i was into gas that's what I'd go with. But i'm a charcoal kind of guy. I've got an old rusty 20 gal drum laid on it's side on some legs cut legthwise and hinged with a little chimney on top. cost me i think about nothing. the coals are far enuf away that i can bar b chicken and never have enuf of a flare up to burn them.

but then again i'm so cheap that i built my own solar water heater for like twenty bucks. saves me a ton of $ on hot water.

it's the scottish in me.

I have a Charbroil stainless grill. It's not high grade stainless but it hasn't rusted yet. However, the hardware that came with it is not stainless, so the nuts and bolts are rusting. Stupid.

The grill itself is also stainless, although you'd never know it now, as it's black with burned up food.

What I've noticed about this grill is that it doesn't get as hot as the other, nonstainless grills I have owned. Stainless is a cool metal and I go through more gas than with my other grills. Not a big issue but just another thing to consider.

An affordable grill that will last a LONG LONG time.. I have the gold series and it's a very simple grill.. Starts on the first time everytime.. I've needed to replace the regulator\\hose assembly once due to a clog somewhere in the line. I called weber and they sent the part out overnight after trouble-shooting with me on the phone for about 10 minutes. Part installed easily and I was back in business. I love the grill...

ErikT