Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RichSmith

1084 vs 1088

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Anyone have both the Arra 1084 and the Rainshadow 1088?

How do they compare?

Not as in which ones better, but what are the differences?

Is the 1084 more like the 1087 or the 1088?

I had them both..

I've only fished the 1084.. Going to use the 1088 this year and then I will be able to tell you the difference..

IMO, and from the opinions of others, the 1084 is faster and a tad lighter. The 1084 is all graphite and the 1088 is a composite with both glass and graphite sections. I absolutely loved the 1084 for throwing eels but when I would be throwing poppers with the braid, I was having a problem keeping them in the water even at the slowest of speeds. I hear the 1088 is much more forgiving and has more of a medium action to it then the faster 1084.. Much better for pencils..

Again, this is IMO and it is based on information I have gathered from others while fishing side by side with both rods..

Either way, both are damn good blanks..

Regards,

ErikT

Erik,

The weight difference might be the build or feel. I've had both blanks on a scale and the lami is heavier, though inconsequetially so. My impressions of the two as blanks was that they were remarkably similar in action and power. However, things change after yo build em.

Thanks Eric

Oz, I probably wouldn't have guessed the lami to be heavier..But I do agree that it would also depend on build, I think Eric had a factory wrap.Mine is one double and the rest single foot guides,so I think I may have lost a bit on the top end but gained a little in the lower end.

I'm going to build the 1088 with doubles all the way up to keep it a bit stiffer, hoping for a bit more umph for 3oz were as the arra (the way its built) gets soft feeling with anything over around 2 1/2oz,which is the way I wanted it for here on home turf.

Whats the top end in you opinion on the 1088?

Rich I got one of the 1088's here in the auction. I haven't used it enough to have any feeling on it compared to the 1084 (Loomis) I use now. I hope to use the 1088 a tad more this upcoming year and I'll let ya know. The little bit I used the 1088 it felt a little stiffer than the 1084. Threw similiar plugs well and other than the stiffer I didn't see any major difference.

I have a 1083 Lami and the 1087 rainshadow and I find very little difference between the two rods. Both of them are custom made using the same guides and cork grips.

I tried out a 1084 and ended up going with the Pac Bay 1088 because the difference, at least to me, didn't support the price difference. Both of these rods are fairly close in my mind. I also have a 1088 All Star, and that rod has more back bone then the other two.

If your going for a two piece rod, then I would spend the extra money for the Lami.