Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Salt and Fresh

Scales Help

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, just started plug building and venturing into the scales look, I know use mesh for the scales, do you tie the mesh on tight, paint it then take it off or let the paint partly dry then remove mesh to avoid smudges? using rattle cans now, any easier w/ an air brush?

Any help would be appreciated, love the scale work seen here!drool.gif

I use those metal binder clips to hold the mesh in place. I use an airbrush, but the technique is the same regardless of the vehicle - LIGHT COATS!!! Cannot say that loud enough. Your scales will be well defined with little more than a fogging of paint.

Let it dry for a minute or two or hit it with a hair dryer for about 15-20 seconds and then remove.

As you noted, pulling it off wet will certainly smudge, while full dried paint will have a tendency to tear anf lift, giving you a raised/irregular surface which will interfere with your top-coating finish.

I use those metal binder clips to hold the mesh in place. I use an airbrush, but the technique is the same regardless of the vehicle - LIGHT COATS!!! Cannot say that loud enough. Your scales will be well defined with little more than a fogging of paint.

Let it dry for a minute or two or hit it with a hair dryer for about 15-20 seconds and then remove.

As you noted, pulling it off wet will certainly smudge, while full dried paint will have a tendency to tear anf lift, giving you a raised/irregular surface which will interfere with your top-coating finish.

This is the exact same way I do it.& works very well.I tried just hanging the mesh,but I gotta have the plug in hand when useining the air brush.Those clips are a savor.I use the same material also.wink.gif

Like he said just hit with a dryer & your done.its really simple this way.Other guys have other ways that work for them,this way works best for me.

You know sometimes that raised paint actually aides in the scale affect. I build the paint up purposely so when I take the mesh off it will have a texture like foiling. biggrin.gif

Here's a tip When your doing scales. Paint a base coat of white then apply a the mesh with thick weave. Then apply the top colors. When your finished with the top color remove the mesh and spray some lighter coats of paint of the top color to fill in the white areas the mesh covered. It will blend the scales real nice. Try different transparent colors fishy colors Like orange or olive green. You'll have to mix em but with a little practice you'll figure out what colors work together well. The reason I use white is because you can paint white any color.